LaunchBox Community Forums

Adding Dos Games

grus2002

So I installed a bunch of dos games. I put dosbox.conf files in each. I want Launchbox to run it from those, rather than the executable it picks from the directory. I understand that if I delete the info from the executable field, it will run the conf. However, is there a way to change that on all the dos profiles en mass? I tried multiple edit but that field isn't one you can change. Tried searching and replacing the xml file but Launchbox noticed and stated the xml was corrupted(I had it backed up of course). Any other way to do this--or else is there a way to add them without Launchbox trying to pick an executable?

Not particularly, at least not in a bulk edit fashion. There really isn't an easy way to do something like this. The only way I can think to do this is if you put the conf files with the exe (which you did) and then there is a box to have a specific game use the conf file in it's root folder. That's the only way I could think we could pull that off easily.

If that could ever be added as a changeable field in the mass edit function--but I guess that is a feature request. I also note that some of the games aren't matching the metadata in the games database on the site here. For example, I've got some space quests--with titles written exactly the same way they are in the database on this webpage--but they aren't coming up even when I try to go back and match it manually. Has this been an issue?

At the moment all of the space quest games. If I click on search for metadata it doesn't find anything. Here are three titles. all on the MS-DOS platform: Space Quest I: The Sarien Encounter Space Quest II: Vohauls Revenge Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulon These were imported from exodos using a special method of my own. that's how the titles appear in the system. there are more but the import just finished so I figured if I figure out what is wrong here I can probably correct it on the others.

Actually, it won't scrape ms-dos at all. I'm entering various file names in the box and telling it to search and it will only find wikipedia entries. If I turn wikipedia off it finds nothing--even if I enter space, space quest, or even something like simcity. Now, other platforms(checked nes and arcade for example) can find data on the LocalDB, but nothing is scraping from LocalDB for MS DOS platform. I am using the latest beta. Is this a new bug?

grus2002 said Actually, it won't scrape ms-dos at all. I'm entering various file names in the box and telling it to search and it will only find wikipedia entries. If I turn wikipedia off it finds nothing--even if I enter space, space quest, or even something like simcity. Now, other platforms(checked nes and arcade for example) can find data on the LocalDB, but nothing is scraping from LocalDB for MS DOS platform. I am using the latest beta. Is this a new bug?
We recently split PC and MS-DOS finally, they were joined by our old source and since we have our own source now we split them, so it must be an error with that.

Update to the latest beta, it should fix this issue. If you had a "PC" system before, run a metadata update on this and you'll need to click the box to replace all metadata. We can't just update metadata for 1 field, it has to be for all, none or empty metadata fields. If your games are already in an MS-DOS platform, just run the update for that and select the option for missing metadata only.