LaunchBox Community Forums

Large Game DB Slowness

hubz

I'll admit it... my game database is huge with over 40k entries. But because of this I'm thinking it's dramatically effecting my performance in LaunchBox and Big Box. Especially when starting up or switching systems. Big Box seems a bit better once I'm finally in it but it can take 2-3 minutes to load. Launchbox stalls everytime I pick a new system. Also run into crashing from time to time. My basic specs are - Intel I5 3.2ghz 8GB RAM Windows 7 SSD for my OS HDD for Launchbox Should I move Launchbox itself to the SSD along with it's database? Or is just the fact that the DB is so large?

Dear God man... 40k? I'm not sure that any frontend is going to perform all that great under that kind of strain. Moving LB to an SSD shouldn't hurt, but I doubt it's gonna have a massive impact with a library of that size. I'd recommend breaking out your trimming gloves!

No, all of the info being in one XML does not effect performance in the same way. That said, there is certainly more optimization that can be done in a lot of regards, but I have 35k in my library right now and it's performing very well. Windows 7 can actually cause some inherent lag in BigBox, and could potentially effect LaunchBox as well. W10 can perform the best because of the inherent OS upgrades Microsoft has made. My OS is also on an SSD, my LaunchBox install is on an internal Sata3 (6GB/s) connection. 32GB of DDR4 ram, 4GB of it being allocated to LaunchBox in the menu. What generation i5 do you have? Early i3's and i5's were not all that great. We did pin point this at one time though, once you get over 8k games in your Library performance starts to take a hit a bit. After 15-20k it becomes about the same regardless if it's 50k or 15k, but we also haven't had much testing with gigantic libraries like ours.

It's an 3750k I tried rebuilding some games from a fresh install on my SSD. Got my DB up to about 5000 and started noticing slight slowness. I also double checked and 4GB of my RAM is allocated too. I bet if I keep re-adding everything my speed will get rough again. It's not a huge crisis or anything but just thought I would point out that I was having slowness issues. I may just for now like was suggested pair it down to my favorite systems and maybe setup a few seperate Launchbox installs to keep the DB Sizes down. Thanks! - Hubz

My LaunchBox performs slower than a less cluttered system, but I have over 30k and it doesn't perform all that bad though to be honest. Especially consindering the size. You could try giving LaunchBox a higher CPU priority in Task Manager. If you have any active software running that actively scans your system (active AV's do this), RAM Monitoring or anything else that can be considered agressive I would give a shot turning off. Early on in my LaunchBox (v 2.8 or somewhere in there about 2 years ago now), we found out that I had a RAM Monitoring program that was effecting my system severely. I loved the RAM Monitoring, as it also actively cleaned the RAM and was super nice, but made my system overall a lot slower and effected LB very negatively.

I hope for a better Big Box optimisation soon. I have a 15K entries database, and I notice the same problem with performance, switching plateforms is a bit slow or jerky. I'm running on a Zotac Magnus EN970 with 16go Ram, so I think we can get a better result and more fluidity. Congrats for the job, Big Box rocks !