LaunchBox Community Forums

Having problem with consoles that use multiple names

weltall

Hello everyone :) Even if it is not many, some of the consoles, like Super Famicom, Sega Genesis and Nec TurboGrafx, are also called Super Nintendo, Mega Drive and PCEngine. It is good that the list gives the ability to choose whichever name you want, but when it comes down to it, depending which one it is chosen, some of the games will not be recognized. For now, when there is such an occasion, I just chose the roms that have No Launchbox ID and mass edited the Platform to the corresponding name. Is there for now a way to combine the two different names of the console to one?

They should all be the default Super Nintendo, TurboGrafx and Genesis. We are working on combining them on the Database so Famicom and SNES games will go in to the same pool, and the console name will be SNES, with an alternate for Famicom, so even if you create a Famicom system (even thought you don't need to) it will find the SNES category either way. There are a few consoles like this that will be getting combined with alternate naming.

I prefer to keep these systems separate especially since the boxes aren't uniform Super Famicom boxes are in portrait and SNES are laid out in landscape and personally that bothers me when I see them all together.

The best would be if possible, for them to be separate, but there being an option to combine them under one name, like a filtered "all". That would probably satisfy both sides. Or maybe when adding roms, to choose a Name for the Platform and also choose one of the Databases. That means people could name their Platforms as they wish and also use the database of the correct platform. Like for example one wanting to call Nintendo Entertainment system just NES or Maybe Nintendo NES. >.> Obviously I am saying this without knowing how the code behind the whole thing works. But still, to not keep them together because of the Boxart would be kind of pointless. Not because of course I do not understand what you mean, but there are consoles that have the same name Worldwide. Like Nintendo 64, Japanese boxes are again different than the rest of the world, so it looks weird. If some consoles are separate for the boxart and some others merged, it will actually feel kind of weird. Being able though to split a platform to different named platforms, would probably fix that.

You can already split them, there is just a scraping issue. Let me again say that the Alternate naming will fix this entire problem. The database will be combined, because these systems are the same thing, but if you keep them separate in LB the Alternate naming serves to fix that. Also, Jason has thought about implemented the "Scrape As" function as well, so both of these together should solve the problem in the end. Systems that are not going to be combined? Famicom Disk System for example, that would stay completely separate from Famicom / NES.

I am sorry to say but honestly I do not know what scrapping is. I am guessing though it has to do with taking games from their original platform and putting them in another platform whole, along with metadata and pictures? I understand about such systems. Obviously Famicom Disk System or the Nintendo Satellaview or whatnot, are like what Sega CD is to Mega Drive. Something separate for sure. Although if anything, I was more like asking if there is a way and I could not find it, as if to view for example two platforms in one. If it is in the TBD list, then that's awesome :D The alternative naming was started by Alakazander?

No the Alternate Naming was on the original GamesDB for games, I had the idea to apply that to our Systems and Dates as well. We already supply regions for images so the alternate naming and dates is to compliment that. What Derek said is what scraping is. It's just the act of when LaunchBox downloads Metadata and Images from the LaunchBox Games Database, Wikipedia or EmuMovies. As for looking at two systems at once, you could technically pull that off with Custom Filters as is. Past that no ones actually requested that before.

Ahh I see, so this is the name used for the technical part. It is not so much a request, as me wondering if it was possible. Although obviously it is not needed, not at least for what I want it, since what I want is what you mentioned, that indeed NES and SNES already have. Thanks again :)