LaunchBox Community Forums

Filter by boxart missing?

fdsj82juifaa

I'm going through all my roms and I want to clean up a bunch of stuff and make it look nice. I don't like not having box art for games. So, what I'd like to do is have launchbox show me all the games that are missing boxart for the rom. That way, I can see the games, decide if I care about them, and if not, delete them. I was thinking maybe I could show it in a list view, and then add a column that showed the path to the box art. That way I could see all the fields that are empty and know they didn't have box art. However, I don't see an option to add that as a column. Is there a way to do this?

Sadly I do not know if a way or at least I could not find out, but I am doing something that is a bit manual for now to do that. Boxart lacking games are not that many, so depending the console, it does not take that long. I mark the games that lack boxart and then mass edit their Status to 0No Cover, and Hide them all too. For games I managed to import a in game screenshot, I mark them and change their Status to 1No Cover and the rest of course are Imported ROM games. Whenever I want to hide from the UI the no cover games, I just untick the "Show Hidden Games" option and my UI has only games with covers and screenshots. Occasionally I update only the non cover games for front covers and if some of them appear with one, I just batch move them to the Imported ROMS category. Doing that makes it easy to select with just Ctrl+A all the non cover games and scan for new pictures.
Spoiler
Screenshot_1-2.png Screenshot_2-3.png Screenshot_3.png
If there is another way, I hope someone can help you. -Edit- Ah yes I forgot to say, that to choose the non cover ones I have, I arrange them Launchbox Games Database ID. On the top of the results are the games not yet included in the Database, so the rest that are included should have boxart. Amongst these that are not included in the database, some might have boxart from Emumovies, so I mark the rest and put them in the 0No Cover category. This makes finding the non cover files easy.

weltall said -Edit- Ah yes I forgot to say, that to choose the non cover ones I have, I arrange them Launchbox Games Database ID. On the top of the results are the games not yet included in the Database, so the rest that are included should have boxart. Amongst these that are not included in the database, some might have boxart from Emumovies, so I mark the rest and put them in the 0No Cover category. This makes finding the non cover files easy.
Ahhh, brilliant! This is a good workaround for now. I hope that in the future launchbox incorporates some sort of "seek out and fix art" sort of wizard...

Considering how the DB keeps getting updated, maybe it will not even be needed =p But I am sure such features will be added in the future. I too will love that feature, since the empty boxart games make the UI look kind of bad. Glad my workaround helped =)

I'm struggling with something similar, though I have a number of games for TurboGrafx-16 that have a Launchbox Games Database ID, but no image pulled in from a "Download Metadata and Images". When I manually edit and click "Download Images/Media" it finds an image but then when I click Ok, sometimes it tells me I have no emulator associated with it and do I want to add one. If I say Yes, it presents me with the Add emulator screen, which is no good as I can't re-add Retroarch; yet if I say No, it clears the emulator field for the game and I have to re-add it. This is despite these being games for the platform "TurboGrafx-16", which is listed under my Retroarch's Associated Platforms, with the same core default as a couple of other NEC platforms. This in itself has provided moments of consternation as I did want them listed as "PC Engine TurboGrafx 16", but that of course leads to further issues of searching for valid info/images. Why would a manual "Edit -> Download Images/Media" for the game give me an image that the "Download Metadata and Images" method doesn't? Additionally, is there any way to associate games to a platform, but have them listed under a different name on the left hand side? Ie. to avoid search issues with the LaunchBox Games DB, but display them under a preferred name? Oh and sincere apologies if these have been asked elsewhere, I couldn't find them. Which may just be my rubbish searching!

A "Scrape As" system has been suggested and is a ticket. Jason was keen on that idea the last he saw of it. We get that people want to name things the way they want, but for the systems that are the same but with regional names we just advise users to use the default naming for the best scraping possible. It gets even more confusing when you start to get in to Arcade... We're working on ways to rectify this though. The reason why when you edit a game and more information can be found is because it is less strict. Since the initial import and "Download Images and Metadata" are mostly hands off it takes a more strict approach to reduce the number of false associations. As far as the odd emulator association is concerned, Add a new RetroArch entry, delete the old one. Go back to the platform and click on a game, then right click edit. This brings up the bulk edit wizard. From here choose emulator and choose the new RA selection. Try editing manually again. If you still get this bug, it could be that or it could be XML corruption. The best way to test that would be to remove your LaunchBox.xml (make a backup of it first though), then start up LB. It will be empty, but import your system and add RA but choose to not download any media (the media is still there in the folder anyways as long as you name the system the same it will find it). Try manually editing again with a fresh XML.

Thanks Brad. I understand the image search methods more now. It was more of a way to place my separated out SuperGrafx next to TurboGrafx by prepending them both with PC Engine... not so much region variants but hardware iterations and therefore different "platforms" in effect. But I get what you're saying prior to a Scrape As option becoming available, and I'm sure I can cope with them being further down the list so it's all good :) I'll give those tests a try next time I'm on there. Thanks for the tips Brad.

No worries. I wouldn't claim to have a clue as to how complex this software must be behind the scenes, so teething troubles are expected. I totally love it anyway. And hey it gets us all chatting which is good :) I can always start afresh if I ever need to.

As long as you keep your media so you don't have to re-download images, video, manuals and music (un-check those boxes) and you rename the folders to a new system name if you change system names then re-importing goes super fast. The bulk of the time spent is certainly in downloading.

• 9 months later...

I'm trying to figure out a way to do this also... I just imported thousands of games about 20% of which don't have cover art. Manually selecting them all even with ctrl and shift+click will take a long time. Adding this functionality to sort by cover art would be helpful.

Edit: it looks like this can be done through the "Audit" functionality. Awesome!

Edited by Just Charlie