LaunchBox Community Forums

How do you set the default image?

fdsj82juifaa

How do I set what I want to use as the default image for the rom? I'd like to have all of them as the cart art instead of box, etc. I see that those images have downloaded when I cycle through all the images, however, I cannot figure out how to set that as the default for what I see in bigbox mode.

DOS76 said Under tools you will see an option for manage platforms when you choose a platform and hit edit you will see options to change folder locations just point the boxart section to where your cart images are.
I changed it to that directory you suggested, but it's showing the wrong image... Instead of the cart image, the banners are showing up for some reason? (see attached image)banner.jpg

weltall said The reason must be the -01 in the end. I use Screenshots for missing covers and I used a batch renamer, namely "File Renamer Basic" to remove from the image names the -01, so the screenshots can work as boxart images.
Oh wow, wth... these images were downloaded with launchbox... should we put in a bug ticket???

No. The names of these images are right, because they are not meant to be front covers. Front cover images do not have numebrs in the end, but Screenshots and others do, because there might be more than just 1 of them, which is why you see 02 and 03. But front cover images have have only one, which is why they do not have a number. This is meant to be normal.

No, that is how we handle images. 1, 2 and 3 are put there for a reason. If there are images in there from before, make sure it is a folder with nothing existing previously and only 1 image to choose from. That said, the Tiered image system is going to fix this issue you are having. There isn't really an ETA on it. https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/719/tiered-images-to-help-fill-in-gaps-more

weltall said No. The names of these images are right, because they are not meant to be front covers. Front cover images do not have numebrs in the end, but Screenshots and others do, because there might be more than just 1 of them, which is why you see 02 and 03. But front cover images have have only one, which is why they do not have a number. This is meant to be normal.
OK, gotcha... then I guess I should put in a feature request to be able to change the default image to a different image. Because having to mass rename images isn't exactly user friendly to change the cart image.

LaunchBox is like a seed~ It is now a small tree that will grow in a huge one! Shame we can;t use bonemeal like Minecraft. PS: Considering the last FrontEnd I messed with was Hyperspin, I feel LaunchBox is spoiling me.
  • Like 1

fdsj82juifaa said
weltall said No. The names of these images are right, because they are not meant to be front covers. Front cover images do not have numebrs in the end, but Screenshots and others do, because there might be more than just 1 of them, which is why you see 02 and 03. But front cover images have have only one, which is why they do not have a number. This is meant to be normal.
OK, gotcha... then I guess I should put in a feature request to be able to change the default image to a different image. Because having to mass rename images isn't exactly user friendly to change the cart image.
Re-read my post. I just posted the ticket that will solve this issue with images. The images need to be named based on the game so that LaunchBox can recognize them. The numbers are only there for other media types. If the image you want are all the number 1's, filter the number 1's out with the Windows Search function and put them in the folder. If there is only 1 image to pull from it will only use the 1 image. Also we are user friendly, because this one feature isn't in doesn't make it not user friendly. We are also totally open to changing things as we need to. There is 1 developer who develops LaunchBox and has a family, so these things take time but we still progress at a fast speed compared to the rest of the competition.

SentaiBrad said
fdsj82juifaa said
Re-read my post. I just posted the ticket that will solve this issue with images. The images need to be named based on the game so that LaunchBox can recognize them. The numbers are only there for other media types. If the image you want are all the number 1's, filter the number 1's out with the Windows Search function and put them in the folder. If there is only 1 image to pull from it will only use the 1 image. Also we are user friendly, because this one feature isn't in doesn't make it not user friendly. We are also totally open to changing things as we need to. There is 1 developer who develops LaunchBox and has a family, so these things take time but we still progress at a fast speed compared to the rest of the competition.
@SentaiBrad - oh, please don't take my post the wrong way! Sometimes tone is hard to understand over the internet when just reading text. I can 100% appreciate having a family and having almost zero free time (as I myself have 3 kids) and PLEASE understand that this program is by far my favorite of the bunch. I stopped half way into setting up hyperspin to change to this application! So, I do love it a lot! Some things could just be more user friendly, but, I totally get that this application is still being developed and more stuff will happen further down the line. I wouldn't have given him $50 if I didn't appreciate his work :) And thanks for the clarification, - so, if I understand you correctly do the following: 1) search for all -01 images in the atari2600\screenshot\cart folder 2) copy all images found to the atari2600\front folder

No worries, I just wanted to make sure you saw what I was saying. You are also more understanding than most users too, so don't worry about it. The easiest way I would solve this is to yea, search for the images you want. If in this case they are the images with 1 attached to them, then search them up in the folder and move them. I would personally also use a program called Métamorphose 1 v 1.1.2 (version 2 has a slightly more complicated UI), and use it to take out the "-1" portion's of the file name. You can then move them to the games box art folder or where ever you want. Since they should have the same name as the front box art images now, you can either replace the existing ones so that it is mostly cart images or don't have the cart images overwrite the box art and then you will have it be mostly box art. Either way, the result should be less holes. It's not a nice solution granted, but it is a solution before features like Tiered Images can be implemented. http://file-folder-ren.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=Download Any other file renamer will work, this is just the one I use.

SentaiBrad said No worries, I just wanted to make sure you saw what I was saying. You are also more understanding than most users too, so don't worry about it. The easiest way I would solve this is to yea, search for the images you want. If in this case they are the images with 1 attached to them, then search them up in the folder and move them. I would personally also use a program called Métamorphose 1 v 1.1.2 (version 2 has a slightly more complicated UI), and use it to take out the "-1" portion's of the file name. You can them move them to the games box art folder or where ever you want. Since they should have the same name as the front box art images now, you can either replace the existing ones so that it is mostly cart images or don't have the cart images overwrite the box art and then you will have it be mostly box art. Either way, the result should be less holes. It's not a nice solution granted, but it is a solution before features like Tiered Images can be implemented. http://file-folder-ren.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=Download Any other file renamer will work, this is just the one I use.
ok, awesome, will do. I have BRU as my mass renamer, but I've always thought it was way over complicated for an interface so I'll check out metamorphose :) *edit* I should also add, I'm currently re-scraping all the art - I told it to replace all metadata and I told it to only scrape the cart art... going to see how that goes too

To your edit: we also want to implement a function that is similar to scheduling updates or virus scans, but instead updates your metadata from the Database. The only way to get the updated data is to do it how you are doing it now. However, with the cart images, they may still have the numbers if you only download them but it will give you the most up-to-date images.

SentaiBrad - wait, now I'm confused again... So the images in the screenshot folder (the ones that are the actual cart images - the ones I want to be the main image) are almost all PNG files. However, in the front folder that I need to copy those images to, there is a front box and rear box art. One is JPG and the other is PNG... so... do I also just rename the PNG to JPG before copying them over to the \front folder?

SentaiBrad said Nope, LaunchBox deals with jpeg and png files just fine. Shouldn't matter.
I guess what I'm saying though, is if I copy those over without renaming them, then it's going to override the images that are the "back box art" as those are mainly the .png files. Since in the \front folder it contains both the front box and back box art, how do I make sure that launchbox is going to use which image to show as the cart image? (I hope you understand what I'm asking :)

I understand, but Front and Back should be split folders. They shouldn't be in the same location. Here is one of my image folders: https://i.imgur.com/2OLgQVt.png If your images are PNG, then yea they wont overwrite the JPG files, so yea that is a concern. I don't think there will really be a good way to handle that other than deleting the images that are duplicates that you don't want.

SentaiBrad said I understand, but Front and Back should be split folders. They shouldn't be in the same location. Here is one of my image folders:
Spoiler
https://i.imgur.com/2OLgQVt.png
Yea, never mind, I'm an idiot for two reasons... 1) I can just make a new folder and assign the front art to that, and copy the images I want in there after they are named properly. 2) What I thought was happening was that it was the front and back art, but really what it was is one of them was the 2d front image and the second one was the 3d front image.