LaunchBox Community Forums

game collections

gizmo

hi i am very new at this and i would like to ask the best way to start off my game collections like i have seen on the youtube video about launchbox , i am not asking where to get roms from but the best way to start of my collection . but i would like to know if there is a way to tell if a rom is ok before putting it through lauchbox as i am coming across a lots of roms that dont work , many thanks for your help and advice

There is no real way for you to know, just make sure the packs or the websites you get stuff from is half way decent and if others have had good experiences with them. Your best bet starting off would easily be No Intro packs. I would start there as it will give you A LOT of what you would want starting off.

I would say start small with the games you really want to play and get the emulators for each system up and running and then add to it from there. Easy to play test the roms to make sure they work until you feel comfortable with where you get your games and then you do the large quantities.

hi many thanks for your help and advice , i did see a video on youtube about damien tools and mane roms but would not know if this would work on any rom to see if they are working or not , i did find over 8,0000 roms but alot of them did not work this is why i was asking , would anyone know if after creating the game cat in launchbox can you put the cat eg: mane to the kodi sub menu instead of bigbox to the main menu on kodi , i will have a look around the net to see what else i can find but what i would like is a games system like what is in the video for launchbox , thanks again for your help and advice

If you are looking to download a big Mame rom pack you need to make sure it is for a version of Mame that matches close to the version of Mame you are using. It does not need to be perfectly matching but you should be really close. For example I use a Mame pack for version 154 I think it is but Mame is now up to 171 or 172 (can't remember). All my roms still work fine. But if the Mame pack is significantly older a lot of games won't work.

I personally have the latest .173 MAME pack, but like Monkus said an older one can work but your best chance is the latest. We have a MAME tutorial on our channel if you need help setting it up. You can get there by clicking the link in my signature. Keep in mind that the tutorial is only for setting it up, I don't show users where or how to download roms.