LaunchBox Community Forums

Platform banner path confusion, clear logo format question

dragon57

Hi, another new HyperSpin convert. I am starting slow, going through the tutorials on YouTube, then looking at the results of the installation of a particular emulator on the file system so I can understand what was done. I have only installed the Atari 2600 so far, and so far, so good, but I do have a couple of questions related to this installation that I do not understand. 1. When I edit the Atari 2600 platform and look at the Folders tab, the Banner images folder points to Images\Atari 2600\Banner, but when I look in this folder, I see only a few image files, plus a subfolder called Banner which appears to contain the remainder of the images. Why did this structure get created like this? 2. In the "Platforms\Atari 2600\Clear Logo" directory, I see a file called "Atari 2600.jpg" that has been downloaded, however this file isn't a jpg file, it is a png file. Should I rename this file to "Atari 2600.png"? Thanks!

To be hones, I don't know why It created a duplicate folder, but you can move the images from that subfolder in to the main folder and restart LaunchBox for it to see the images. Also, renaming file extensions like that almost never works, at least for most file types. It should be a PNG, but it needs to properly be a PNG and renaming it won't make a difference or break it. We're gonna look in to why we have JPG's in here, because they really shouldn't be. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

For what it is worth, I have added three more platforms to my installation, Atari 7800, Atari Jaguar & Atari Lynx. All three of these had there platforms clear logo misnamed as a jpg file when the file was actually a png file. When importing everything for the Jaguar, it also created the extra Border directory for it as with the 2600, but not for the 7800 or Lynx. Something strange is afoot, that is for sure, but I am unable to know where to point to being unfamiliar with everything at this point.

SentaiBrad said The file re-naming is being investigated, but they are still PNG's technically because they still have their transparent layer. Jason is also doing Image restructuring this week so things are going to change up a bit as well.
This front end is making leaps and bounds! The image and naming conventions and paths still need work. They seem to use names that don't match the rom name which is key for many MAME users. People that use RocketLaucher to store these images will be SOL since they use a different folder/naming structure.

progets said
SentaiBrad said The file re-naming is being investigated, but they are still PNG's technically because they still have their transparent layer. Jason is also doing Image restructuring this week so things are going to change up a bit as well.
This front end is making leaps and bounds! The image and naming conventions and paths still need work. They seem to use names that don't match the rom name which is key for many MAME users. People that use RocketLaucher to store these images will be SOL since they use a different folder/naming structure.
All media (images, video, music and manuals) can be matched to either the file name or the rom name, so maybe I don't understand what you are saying? The re-structuring more specifically is to accomidate many many more categories that we've added to the Database but aren't available in LaunchBox. This will also help if you have image categories from other sites, hopefully the images will fit better in the new categories instead of using Fan Art for everything because... that's not correct.