LaunchBox Community Forums

Adding new systems to LB

rmilyard

So today I have been adding systems to LB. I haven't really messed with configs/setups right now just getting the added and all media downloaded. My question is almost all my ROMs are either 7z or .rar so if this going to cause issues? In most of the tutorial videos the ROMs are not compressed.

Because compression takes a lot of time for decompression, so it is suggested to not do this for Disc based systems, and on the earlier cart based systems you don't save that much space in the grand scheme of things. That said, we do know people like to use it regardless, and as long as you check the Box when you edit an emulator to use Archive Compression (to decompress it), then it will work just fine. Just make sure to disable that check box for games that can't be decompressed, like Arcade systems. Some emulators also natively support archives as well, in which case that is prefered. The alternative I prefer and suggest the most is to not use archive compression, but alternate compression. PS2 and PSP games can be CSO compressed, Gamecube games GCM compressed, Wii games can be WBFS compressed and PS1 games can be PBP compressed and it will eliminate the multi-disc issue as it should automatically switch discs. Some games don't like being put in to CSO, PBP or GCM containers though, and there are compatability charts for those systems on the internet. Search the forums for those compression methods if you're curious, we've talked about them a lot on here.

SentaiBrad said Because compression takes a lot of time for decompression, so it is suggested to not do this for Disc based systems, and on the earlier cart based systems you don't save that much space in the grand scheme of things. That said, we do know people like to use it regardless, and as long as you check the Box when you edit an emulator to use Archive Compression (to decompress it), then it will work just fine. Just make sure to disable that check box for games that can't be decompressed, like Arcade systems. Some emulators also natively support archives as well, in which case that is prefered. The alternative I prefer and suggest the most is to not use archive compression, but alternate compression. PS2 and PSP games can be CSO compressed, Gamecube games GCM compressed, Wii games can be WBFS compressed and PS1 games can be PBP compressed and it will eliminate the multi-disc issue as it should automatically switch discs. Some games don't like being put in to CSO, PBP or GCM containers though, and there are compatability charts for those systems on the internet. Search the forums for those compression methods if you're curious, we've talked about them a lot on here.
So the compression check box in LB is per emulator and not per platform?