LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox won't load :(

brolly727

Hi All, Apologies for the noob question but every time i try and open LaunchBox i get the following error message and i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. Could anyone help me out so I can get on my way to setting up this fantastic front end pleeeeease :) LaunchBox-error.png

Are you on Windows 32bit by chance? Do you have the latest .Net installs from Microsofts website? If you can't start up, if you are comfortable with editing XML files then load up your LaunchBox.xml file with Notepad++ and Ctrl + F and search for "VideoPlaybackEngine". Try replacing "VLC" in the middle with "WindowsMediaPlayer". Should look like this: https://i.imgur.com/zuKSipY.png See if any of that fixes your issue.

Based on the error, VLC does seem to be the likely culprit. As long as you have the correct codecs installed on your PC, the WMP option should work just fine. I've been using it for a while and haven't had any issues.
SentaiBrad said Would have been faster if my computer didn't decide to get stuck in a BSOD Boot loop...
Yikes... :( That sucks dude. Tried a system restore?

Oh yea the codecs! http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_standard.htm That is what I have everyone who uses the WMP Playback engine download, and it works out of the gate. If it comes up with any errors during install, press yes to have the K-Lite installer fix them. You also don't have to install Media Player Classic if you don't want to, but it's good. Yea @Zombeaver my PC is fine now. I have drivers for an external capture card, and I think a recent update they made screwed up the drivers. The error I got with the frowny face was about drivers, and since I already came across this once before, windows had a restore point at the time that worked (cause I just installed the drivers and restarted) restoring worked. Before I re-installed them, I manually created a restore point, which is good cause the first one is gone, and I had to manually choose that with not being able to get in to Safe Mode (F8 doesn't work anymore cause Windows 10 is "too fast"), then stuck in a loop, then it finally gave me advanced options during the repair process, safe mode failed, I then tried the manual restore point I created and it worked. Sorry if I just hijacked your thread a bit @brolly727. xD

SentaiBrad said I have drivers for an external capture card, and I think a recent update they made screwed up the drivers.
That's the reason I ended up getting one of these years ago when I was looking for a capture device - I heard nothing but nightmare stories about driver problems with various cards. This thing lets you record/encode straight from the connected console to a usb stick plugged into the device - so it's PC-less. Pull out the usb stick, plug it into a PC and you've got an mp4 of your play session. The video quality is... by no means great though (this device is 12 years old at this point...). It is better if you're connected via s-video though (which I didn't have for that video, just composite). I'd probably go with something like this if I were buying something now because, again, it doesn't require anything for the capture other than a usb stick. I'm all for anything that doesn't have a bunch of proprietary software and drivers that are required in order to get it to work. Glad to hear your PC is okay again!