LaunchBox Community Forums

adding custom platforms

slydog43

I want a separate list for my Arcade favorites (about 200) to make scrolling through a long list easier, but with the ability to jump to specific letters. I can seem to do that with my arcade list, so I thought about creating a custom platform. I added a platform call Arcade Standup Favs,, which then shows 0 games. When I try to add game roms to it with Tools, add roms, then I pick the roms, but I can't choose my "Arcade Standup Favs" from the dropdown list. Am I missing something? using beta 6. Love this program, Great Job Jason. (hope you have a good vaca with your family last week)

In this case I would suggest trying out Custom Filters and using the favorite system already in place in LaunchBox. You can even sort by favorites so they show up on top. MAME has issues when you separate the roms. LaunchBox knows what it needs to run each game because the MAME Internal Database has told us. So if you move a game over you need to move over all the correct rom files for that specific game. That's why when you import MAME it uses the custom importer, and why not every single archive file = a game inside of LaunchBox.

thanks for the quick response, but I have no problem making copies of my favorite roms, shouldn't launchbox support adding a new platform and adding roms to that platform. I thought this would be a nice feature/workaround for my favorites since I have so many. I would actually like to do this with a few systems (platforms). If I can't do this now, do you think this could be added?

You can create and add anything you want, nothing stops that, but the System name needs to be scrapeable and custom system names aren't scrapeable so it will be hard having the scraper add metadata and media. If it does find a game, it will then try and "fix" the platform to where it found the data from. Without creating a new platform, Custom Filters and a Favorites system already exist and very easily do this without re-importing anything.

If you haven't set anything up yet its simple to do you just add the games you want under the correct platform get all of the metadata and images and then change the name of the platform in LB then go into your folder and change the name of any folders with that platforms name to your custom platform. If you already have the system that is the proper name setup though then you will run into issues.