LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox and PSX 1.13

sleeper43

Hi gang, brand new to Launchbox, but I am absolutely LOVING it. I have my NES and Genesis/Sega CD/Master System all set up. I have been working on setting up my Playstation 1. I used retroarch for both NES and my Sega goodies. However I couldn't get it to work with the PS1. No biggie, I set up both PSX 1.13 and ePSXe. I much prefer PSX 1.13, the picture is so much more true to the actual system. Anyway here is the issue. According to this thread here: https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/emulation/command-line-parameters-arguments PSX 1.13 is listed and needs no command line entries to work, but when I try to add it to Launchbox, it says I need to choose an entry from the emulator drop down box, but PSX 1.13 is not in the drop down. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I can't wait to get the rest of my systems set up too!

I'm not 100% sure of what form you are talking about I'm guessing the import wizard where it asks you to pick an emulator, just click the add button to add a any emulator you want. If this isn't what you were referring to add a screen shoot of where you are stuck so someone can better help solve your issue.

Thanks, seems to work great, but I have ran into an unforeseen problem. Some games, example Breath of Fire 3, inside of the folder has files named something like this: Breath of Fire (Title 1).bin, Breath of Fire (Title 2).bin, Breath of Fire.cue When I import into Launchbox, all 3 files have a tile in the PS1 category, and because the cue file name doesn't match the bin file name, the cue file won't launch. As a result, the game seems to launch very choppy and I fear could be buggy. Is there a way to have only one BOF title show up (maybe just drag the cue file rather than the folder), and how do I rename the cue file to work since there are 2 bin files for the game?

To import multiple file games your best bet is to use Windows search to look for only the file extension that you are looking for and then only choose those for importing. Brad demonstrates this technique in many of the disc based tutorials so go to the LB YouTube channel and check one of those out there is a PS1 tutorial on there that will cover all of this.

Thanks friends, the importing issue is resolved. I only have one left and sadly its an emulator question that I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. When switching to full screen in PSX 1.13 sometimes it will lock up the entire computer so that I have to manually turn it off. When it doesn't, when I try to toggle it back to windowed so that I can switch it off, it locks it up what seems like 95% of the time. I know you folks are Launchbox experts and not PSX 1.13 experts, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask :-)

My honest opinion is to change emulators. I do the Tutorials for our site, so I may not be an expert (though I am extremely knowledgeable), my honest opinion is to not use PSX 1.13. ePSXe or RetroArch are the ones we suggest for users to use. It may be that you need GPU Driver updates, or driver updates in general, or your PC can't exactly handle the emulation, but I would first honestly try RetroArch or ePSXe instead. Both being actively developed. If you do want to try updating drivers, use this: http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php I use AdvancedSystemCare Pro from IOBit and it's one of the best pieces of software you can use to keep your computer clean. I would suggest that too honestly, even the free version is great. You can get DriverBooster In ASC's ToolBox or a separate download from that link and it works great. I had Jason run it too and it actually found drivers he had outdated as well. System performance could very well be a culprit here too. Below are the 3 scans I do almost daily / every other day. System Optimization, Security Defense, and Vulnerability Fix you don't need to run too often, if all but once. It's nice to run them every so often just in case. Registry Defrag is also good from time to time. Disk Optimization, make sure you don't do this for any SSD's you have. Any tools that are made for HDD's for cleaning and optimization will hurt an SSD in the long run. https://i.imgur.com/oMn8smp.png

Thanks for the suggestion, but honestly I have used ASC and driver booster myself for years. I run the complete scan daily with all items checked, it doesn't take any longer. I have a few more daily clean up apps I run as well to keep my PC in good shape. Regarding the other emulators, I tried both, I couldn't get retroarch to work at all (its what I use for NES, Sega Master System, Genesis, and Sega CD). I think it was a bios issue. I could not find version 5501 anywhere. I read several places to rename 7300 to 5501, or 5500 to 5501 and it would work. It wouldn't for me. For ePSXe, I tried it, and it worked just fine but looked awful. To try to remedy that, I found what appeared to be some really great guides to using shaders on youtube. I followed them to the letter, but they always messed up the aspect ratio of not only my game, but the entire PC. I tried again and again, completely removing ePSXe and starting from scratch, even removing it from the registry. Somehow now its gotten to the point that it crashes completely when trying to load an image, even from a fresh install. My PC should be plenty powerful enough, its just a couple of months old, 6 GB Ram, 64 bit Windows 10, Intel Core i3-4170 3.70 GHz processor. I am at a loss.

Thanks, I will try again, and post a screen shot if it doesn't work. In the meantime I think my problem is related to the OpenGL because Dolphin for Gamecube/Wii did the exact same thing, when I changed it to the 3D option, it resolved it on that emu. I have an Intel HD Graphics 4400 video card. According to what I read online, its compatible with OpenGL 4.0. I am wondering if it may not be compatible with older versions.

Oh yea, if you're using integrated graphics that's going to cause some issues for the more powerful stuff irregardless. The CPU is doing two jobs instead of just 1. If you have the room in your case, I would grab a GTX950 or 960, I've seen them for about $120. If space is an issue they make half sized GTX950's as well. Obviously these aren't the best cards out there, but their price to performance is spectacular.