LaunchBox Community Forums

Where to keep everything

UncleDaddySwiss

Hi, ive been using Launchbox for a few months now, and also just switched from stand-alone emulators to Retroarch. My question is, would it make any sense to put my Retroarch folder inside the Launchbox folder, just so i'd only have 1 main folder to keep track of? Im super OCD about where to put things for organization, but at the same time, thats why i can never make up my mind. 'Oh I should put it here for this reason, but because of that maybe I should keep it there, etc.' How do most people organize things? Including ROMs, etc? So confused. Confused Thanks

Hi Swiss, I'm with you regarding being anal retentive. By far the best solution is to keep everything inside of your LaunchBox folder. I keep an Emulators folder inside of it, as well as a Games folder, along with everything else. This way you can move the whole folder anywhere and things should just work. :)

I personally keep it separate. I have an emulators folder, and in that are folders named after a system or an emulator. In that are game / rom folders, and folders for versions of Emulators / alternates. I have a RetroArch folder in it's own Sub folder, S:\Emulator\RetroArch. Everything else I keep in the LB folder personally.

I agree with keeping them separate. I started with HyperSpin, and now that I'm trying LaunchBox out, I'm having to move all my roms and emulators out of HS. HS made this possible some time ago, but I never changed anything for fear of breaking it (HS is very temperamental). I could set up LB to refer to the folders inside the HS folder, but then LB would be entangled with HS. At some point I may separate HS and LB onto separate computers and put them into separate cabs. Ideally the roms and emulators would be on a separate drive networked to both cabs.

Just be careful about moving things around if you do chose to keep things separate. The biggest benefit of keeping everything all in one folder is the fact that you can put that folder anywhere and it'll just work. But if you keep things outside the LaunchBox folder, and then end up moving either your ROMs, emulators, or LaunchBox itself, you'll have some work to do to fix the paths.

You're missing something Brad. All the paths are kept in a relative format. For example: ..\Emulators\Project64\Project64.exe This means the parent folder of the LaunchBox folder, then Emulators, Project64, etc. Obviously if you move the LaunchBox folder and leave the Emulators folder there, it'll break it.