LaunchBox Community Forums

Mass Edit - Video Path

xenith57

Scenario:

I want to move the videos to an alternate drive to alleviate disc space on the main drive, I want to point everything to the new folder(s).

Using Mass edit lets me select video path as an option, but when it comes up, it requires me to pick a file as opposed to a folder.

Is there a method that I'm missing, or will I need to manually edit each game inside of Launch Box?

I would just edit the xml if there was an actual path to find/edit/replace, but it's all <VideoPath /> instead of <VideoPath>path here</VideoPath>

Any thoughts?
Thanks

I use symbolic links in windows to achieve effectively the same goal.  This way LaunchBox sees the videos as being in their default location, and windows simply redirects the path to the new location wherever you choose.

I do this for videos, manuals and the roms themselves, and keep the rest of LaunchBox on my main SSD for speed.

The method I use for creating them is as shown in this article:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

I just do them manually via the command prompt

• Like 1

Ok, Awesome, I'll take a look at the link. Thanks!  And I think I found out how I can actually do what I initially needed, just have to edit platforms, folders, and edit the stuff in there. seems to have worked for me.

Edited by xenith57

20 hours ago, CADScott said:

I use symbolic links in windows to achieve effectively the same goal.  This way LaunchBox sees the videos as being in their default location, and windows simply redirects the path to the new location wherever you choose.

I do this for videos, manuals and the roms themselves, and keep the rest of LaunchBox on my main SSD for speed.

The method I use for creating them is as shown in this article:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

I just do them manually via the command prompt

Hi, I had never heard of symbolic links. Very nice.

LaunchBox now thinks my games is in the Games subfolder:

mklink /J "C:\Emulation\LaunchBox\Games" "N:\Emulation\Games"

Very easy to set up.

To remove the link I would just delete the folder "C:\Emulation\LaunchBox\Games" (which isn't really a folder, just a link).

• Like 2

Here is an example of when sym link are great.

So ive moved my LB setup to a new HDD and my setup is in the ROOT or main directory of the new HDD unfortunately i did not know at the time that LB can not update itself if its installed on the main Directory/Root of the drive. Now o didn't want to move all my files n folder because then i would have broken links/directories for Rockstarlauncher and LaunchBox.... so what i did was yea ended up moving my folders and files to a new folder 1 Deep in the new HDD directory and then i symbolic linked all the file's and folders back to the main directory... so  now launchbox launches from a different directory but still thinks all the files n folders are were they use to be but infact they have been moved and Rocketlaunchers Directories are also all good now too... and thats just one example of how symlinks have saved my arse lol