LaunchBox Community Forums

Custom dosbox.conf file location

Eirulan

You'll only have one "default" dosbox.conf so yes, you could put a custom one in the dosbox folder but it will be overwritten if you make changes to the conf via the LB UI, though it shouldn't happen just from updating LB.

The best method is to just create .confs for each game. When you import the game, go to the DOSBox tab and where it says to use/browse to a custom .conf tell it to create one and then save it in the game's folder. It'll be created based on whatever you have in your default dosbox.conf in LB but this way you can individually tweak them per-game. There's no one-size-fits-all solution to .conf settings so individual .confs allow you get the best settings for each game.

Nope, not unless you count GoG :P I make them myself.

You can sometimes find some suggested tweaks in a game entry in the dosbox wiki, but I rarely use them. Some things are a matter of personal taste and some things are computer-specific so it might be difficult to have a definitive .conf for everyone for each game.

I'm happy to help though, if you need any. I've got about 150 DOS games in my library.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Nope, not unless you count GoG :P I make them myself.

Correct, but for my old GOG games I don't need launchbox's built-in DOSBOX ;)

I'm having a bunch of old PC game boxes which I try to digitalize at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

I'm happy to help though, if you need any. I've got about 150 DOS games in my library.

That would be very cool, I'm searching for *.conf files for these games:

- Strike Commander

- Wing Commander Prophecy

- Crusader No Remorse

- King's Quest 7

- Tie-Fighter (CD ROM version)

If possible, I wanna use my HOTAS with the space/flight games... If you have any of these I'd appreciate to try them out.

37 minutes ago, Eirulan said:

Correct, but for my old GOG games I don't need launchbox's built-in DOSBOX ;)

It was a joke haha. Actually, in my experience GOG's aren't even ideal in some cases. A lot of times they're using older versions of DOSBox which don't have all the features available in newer builds, sometimes they're using weird scaling options, none of them use Novert, etc. Sorry, that's probably not what you wanted to hear :P

Often I don't use GoG's included .conf - I just install the game and then create my own and hook it into LB's instance of DOSBox instead of using what came with the install.

37 minutes ago, Eirulan said:

That would be very cool, I'm searching for *.conf files for these games:

- Strike Commander

- Wing Commander Prophecy

- Crusader No Remorse

- King's Quest 7

- Tie-Fighter (CD ROM version)

If possible, I wanna use my HOTAS with the space/flight games... If you have any of these I'd appreciate to try them out.

I've got Crusader: No Remorse, King's Quest 7, and Tie-Fighter. I don't have Wing Commander Prophecy in my library but I have WC3, which should be the same or similar settings. I'll check out WCP and Strike Commander.

I've attached my .confs for Crusader: No Remorse and King's Quest VII. I was thinking I already had Tie Fighter but apparently I don't. I'll get back to you on that one and the others.

For Crusader, the main application is Crusader.exe, the configuration is Install.exe, and my disc image is in the Mounts tab assigned to drive D and is CD-ROM/ISO type. These should all be picked up by default via the DOS importer in LB.

For King's Quest VII, the main application is KQ7.BAT and the configuration is INSTALL.BAT. The configuration application should be picked up by default via the DOS importer but I'm not sure about KQ7.BAT.

Crusader - No Remorse.zip

King's Quest VII.zip