LaunchBox Community Forums

SNES Works in Retroarch, not via Launchbox

Garrick_Greathouse

Windows 10 fully updated.

Asus N501VW Laptop.

I've been using the Launchbox/Retroarch combination for about six months. I've set this up multiple times on multiple computers and can always figure things out until today. My NES and Genesis games are launching correctly via Launchbox, but not SNES games. I double click a rom and nothing happens. The weird thing is that the SNES games launch fine when played directly through Retroarch. I simply can not figure out why this is happening.

Any thoughts? All the software involved was downloaded today, so it's all current. The only SNES core I can get to work in Retroarch this time around is SNES9X 2010.

Any ideas? I've tried searching, but I guess I can't figure out the exact terms because I found nothing.

• 3 months later...

This happened to me as well.  LaunchBox is looking for a core file named snes9x_next_libretro.dll found in c:\EMULATORS\RetroArch\cores.  However, the none of the dll core files that RetroArch downloads has the name snes9x_next_libretro.dll. THE FIX: rename the "snes9x_libretro.dll" core file to "snes9x_next_libretro.dll" and LaunchBox was able to emulate Super Nintendo fine after.  You can rename any one of those snes9xXXX.dll files and it would probably work as well.  I hope this helps someone else.

Edited by MonsterTweaks
fix quotes

I have no idea in the world why you would need to do this sort of thing to fix it. I have never seen this issue before and I have used many builds of Retroarch going back to 1.2 including nightlies. I can almost guarantee the problem is in the command line parameters in Launchbox for Retroarch in your setups. Quadruple check your cores you have downloaded and the names of the cores you have in your associated platforms command line parameters. There have been times when I have been pulling my hair out trying to solve a problem with loading and even though I think every thing is right I almost always find a small typo.

Completely reinstalled retroarch and LaunchBox on two different computers since this original post. 

One one install all cores work perfect all the time, the other install requires me to rename core dll's to whatever LaunchBox THINKS it wants. Same rom sets, and distributions of retroarch & LaunchBox released within a week of each other.

No idea why it happens, but I found the renaming work around to suffice.