LaunchBox Community Forums

Disk I/O usage, CPU usage, memory usage and Network usage statistics

SentaiBrad

Watch the video below in fullscreen at 1080p60 to see everything.

I keep seeing this question pop up about how much Disk usage and CPU usage LaunchBox takes, so I opened up Resource Monitor in Windows 10 and found out. I scrolled through and cached quite a bit of my Arcade platform, then switched over to Amiga. On the Amiga view I had quite a bit of it cached. I swapped to, waited a min, then scrolled down till I hit stuff that needed to be cached and these were my results.

LaunchBox peaked, once or twice, at 30-50mb/s of Disk I/O, but it really stayed around and averaged 7-10mb/s of Disk I/O. Even though that's clearly lower than the most conservative I/O numbers for Mechanical 5400 RPM drives, faster Mechanical drives or SSD's will still improve performance in certain cases on how fast it can handle the amount of threads. So it's not just about the raw I/O as we would have previously thought. It is also worth noting that the tests do show that CPU usage is an extremely key factor. The CPU is fast as it is, and can't go faster than the Hard Drive and vice versa. So upgrading both can improve performance.

The Hard Drive I used: RMPAL9S.png
Some things to note - I believe it is 5400 RPM as it's from an external case that I put inside my PC, and I went for size instead of raw speeds and my performance is still fine. More evidence for CPU being more important? Like I said above, an SSD or a fast Mechanical drive can help in other areas more than raw Read / Write, but this is generally the most "fought" over point of contention.

Yeah but the people who bought it out from AOL have been promising a new version forever so for now it's still the same software it was under AOL.

Aimp and Foobar both sound better and have better functionality (tabbed playlists ftw). And yes they do sound better, I have tested them compared to Winamp and even with my shitty hearing I can hear a distinct difference in sound quality.