LaunchBox Community Forums

How to download themes/videos/images/sounds etc for big box?

curls88

Hi, I'm new on this and watched many videos on how to do it but I still don't know why its not working for me.

Question :

I downloaded the metallic version and did extract it on lunchbox/theme and changed the view in general settings in big box to metallic and did the other instructions in big box but it didn't work like the video.

note: I have only 1 game installed

What did I do wrong?

not_working.png

That is the tutorial for adding themes, your screenshot looks correct to me its just missing videos which as I said you have to add yourself. Create a folder called videos inside your launchbox folder, inside that create a folder for every system you added to launchbox and put the game videos in them. Also create a folder called platforms and put all your platform videos in there.

So the videos can get downloaded from Within LaunchBox. To do this you do need LaunchBox Premium and EmuMovies Premium as well, either for a month or a life time.

Your original screenshot is correct, it's just not populated with everything possible. I have every single image, video, song and manual downloaded for everything possible and I've worked on my library for a really long time. It's really easy to get to the point I have it at if you're ok spending money. Otherwise, you just put videos in the proper location (It works just like the Images folder, but for Video, so ../LaunchBox/Video/System name/<videos>), and you can get these from anywhere, but if you go the EmuMovies route integrated in to LaunchBox it is a lot easier.

Lets take Arcade as an example, you can download the Progretto Video snap pack for completely free. You put those videos in ../LaunchBox/Video/Arcade/. All of the video files have the same exact name as the rom file, so you just drop it in, restart LaunchBox and you should be good to go. Videos, as well as other media, just needs to share the same name as the rom file or the game name inside of LaunchBox and you're golden.

If you have LaunchBox and EmuMovies, then when you import your games it does it all for you as long as you leave all of the check boxes checked. In almost every single Tutorial I go through the process of importing roms, there is the LaunchBox Games Database screen then the EmuMovies screen (I ignore Wikipedia now as it's commonly wrong or broken). At the bottom of the EmuMovies screen during import are check boxes for video. As long as it's all checked, everything possible gets downloaded. If this game doesn't have a video playing, then a video may not even exist for it; not every game will have a video.

If it does, check ../LaunchBox/Videos/Sega Genesis/, and a video file should be in there. Try importing an entire set of games and let us know. The import bar at the bottom will tell you what it's downloading as it's happening and you'll commonly see that it will be downloading video if one is available and it's working correctly.

Oh, one more quick thing, you can also highlight your game (or games) and go to Tools -> Download Metadata and Media. This will re-run just the download procedure for metadata and media so you can try to redownload everything if you'd like as well. Of the 3 options, I generally select the middle option so I am not re-downloading a ton of data, unless I want to try and make sure everything is up to date.