LaunchBox Community Forums

How do I contribute to LB Games DB with GOG.com background and in-game images?

Justified

Hi everyone,

I would like to contribute with background and in-game images for the available games in GOG.com,

I have two questions, the first (probably directed to the DB moderators), what image naming would be the most useful for uploading these to the Games DB?

For example, the Chronicles of Riddick game (Chronicles of Riddick Dark Athena)

I could either rename the downloaded images as
CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK: ASSAULT ON DARK ATHENA, THE “ (This would be closest to the official game title. BUT NOTE, for this particular case, the GOG.com naming places “the” at the end and not the beginning of title as found in most web sources).
Or
the_chronicles_of_riddick_assault_on_dark_athena” (same name used at the game’s webpage linked above. Images are already named this way, but I could rename to the above if needed)

And second question, and this is where Jason may need to step in, how can I batch upload all the renamed images to the database?.

The total is over 1.7K background images for the the available game and soundtracks,  plus I could also upload in-games for each as in the examples below.

the_chronicles_of_riddick_assault_on_dark_athena.jpg

the_chronicles_of_riddick_assault_on_dark_athena~09~.jpg

the_chronicles_of_riddick_assault_on_dark_athena~03~.jpg

the_chronicles_of_riddick_assault_on_dark_athena~07~.jpg

the_chronicles_of_riddick_assault_on_dark_athena~08~.jpg

the_chronicles_of_riddick_assault_on_dark_athena~1920~.jpg

Edited by Justified

yes it would be very helpful, but I think Jason is planning to allow users to feed images and metadata right from your own Launchbos collection, so if you manually add cover, it should also feed them to the database in case it does not exist!.

Anyway, hopefully there is a way to batch feed all these images so everyone can use them.

Batch uploading would be a bad idea. A lot of people don't have an eye for quality and have really poor quality artwork in their collections. You would need someone to sort through all submissions. Maybe only allow a few selected users to do it.

Edited by Styphelus

Agree, this could be also a good alternative. In this case at least all background images are standardized in quality and size, as they all come from the same source. The Ingame snaps, are not, as I think the native resolution of each game had something to do with it, but they could surely fill gaps for games that do not have these images already.

I know Jason is working like crazy on LB v7, maybe after that I can send him all the images, or least the backgrounds, and upload them to the database.