LaunchBox Community Forums

Open - Regarding NeoGeo AES Naming No rejections please - Issue #343

Freestate

The last days i'm updating neogeo info and covers. The issue i'm scalating is my name changes is being rejected when i change titles like 3 count bout for 3 Count Bout/ Fire Suplex I've have to comment on this issue:

1: The name change is not for my personal feeelings. It's the naming that the scrapper assigns when the roms are imported (internal mame names). Without this naming the data scrapping fails.

2: The NeoGeo AES game cartridges are MULTIREGION/MULTILANGUAGE. There's no regional versions. Inside the cartridge are included all the versions with all the languages, the version is attached to machine and its bios not diferent cartridge editions. I consider more correct to this games to asign the double naming acording to mame database.

I know we are all waiting for regional data but in this issue, i think we need to make things different. Because this two points.

Except if we have games that have Name A / Name B, as the full name, then it's broken. One name per title has to be it or it will be broken. When someone imports NeoGeo with the MAME Importer, and it changes the name to 3 Count Bout, it's expecting 3 Count Bout, and if it's 3 Count Bout / Fire Suplex, or even Fire Suplex on it's own, it's suddenly broken. No it's not perfect, but in the wake of not having regional names the NTSC names as the prefered name for games that have multiple names is where we've landed. Obviously Japanese or European exclusive games get their region instead, not a translated name in the case of Japanese games. There are regional differences that we do need to take in account for everything, but we still have to wait for that to be available and currently, to make it a less of a headache in the long run, the way it should be set up now I think will lead to less headaches in the future.

For example, say we do allow a game to have two names as one title, not only do users have to change the name of their games to then match the database, but then later when the features are implemented, then everything needs to get changed over again, including users naming conventions. Right now I believe it's the best balance. I encourage anyone to voice their opinions on this, but we went through a process several months ago where many community users agreed on the guidelines. I potentially need to update them some more.

• Like 1

Yeah, i agree with you SentaiBrad, as i say it's a workaround acording the MAME importer names and the multiregional nature of NeoGeo games, but i understand your point that maybe it opens a door to generate caos on other platforms and extra work when the regional data is implemented on the database.

And again, there's spoken months ago. The database and scrapping needs priority to avoid this issues. I'm feel a little tired of expending tons of hours moderating and sending data and still having this issues because we still don't have a message system to contributions to avoid lazy rejections, the regional data, and the sorry for the ***** words, the stubborness of many contributors on sending again and again rom hacks and regional versions of games available on database.

I know that is a complex issue, but i feel that the work of contributors and moderators are diminissed with anouncements again and again about eye candy options and the database are still with this remaining issues for months.

• Vlansix changed the title to Open - Regarding NeoGeo AES Naming No rejections please - Issue #343