LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox crashing with Prioritize Soundtrack Music Over Video Audio enabled

CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT

I'm currently on LB version 7.0-beta 10 and whenever I enable the above mentioned setting in BigBox, it will crash after going into the Games List for a platform after scrolling through some selections. That is, it doesn't happen immediately, but does eventually crash while scrolling. I have tried waiting for a few seconds on each selection since I was thinking it was happening because scrolling too quickly, but it still eventually crashes. There isn't an error log provided from BigBox for this either; just the generic Windows "This program has encountered a problem and needs to close". Disabling the option does stop the crashing.

Anybody else have this problem? I have tried encoding some of the MP3s into my videos and that keeps it from occurring (tested it by disabling the option and did the re-encoding for about 15 videos), but I'd definitely rather not have to do this for every single video I have.

I'm running Windows 10 64-bit.

EDIT: I discovered the problem... if you have BOTH Enable Background Music and the Prioritize Soundtrack over Video Audio enabled, BigBox will crash while scrolling through a Games List that has music tracks and videos.

I had both of these enabled because I didn't realize that BakerMan's videos are made in such a way that you only need the Prioritize option enabled (if you have MP3s you want to override game videos); the music from his videos will still play. However, for some of the platforms, I have videos not made by BakerMan since doesn't have any available for them and those will not have audio unless the Enable Background Music option is enabled along with Prioritize.

Basically, I can't have both... so for now I will just add my own music to those platforms and leave Enable Background Music disabled.

In any case, that seems to be the issue.

Definitely! Just updated to the newest beta and still happens (even tried VLC instead of Media Player). It just seems that it gets angry whenever it tries to load a separate audio and video file at the same time (just not always); it never crashes by having the MP3s embedded into the videos (I encoded about 30 more videos, disabled the override option and scrolled up and down the list for about 5 minutes and it never crashed).

On a side note, does BigBox ONLY use Media Player for audio streaming? I'm asking because I have the option to see audio info displayed enabled and noticed that, for the MP3s that have embedded thumbnail images, every single game was showing the same thumbnail image next to the music title (i.e., all games had the thumbnail for the Super Metroid MP3 I'm using). I did a little digging and discovered that Windows creates a file that it hides in such a way that, to even see it, you need have a CYGWIN environment installed (even though it's only a JPG... weird). Anyway, Media Player (or Windows) creates this image the first time you load up a song in Media Player and then uses it for ALL other tracks; the "fix" is to just be sure that each MP3 goes into it's own folder (I had everything in the same folder). Before I put each track into it's own folder, though, I loaded them up manually in VLC and the Groove Music App and the thumbnails displayed as they should. Then I switched the video player in BigBox over to VLC, but the thumbnails were still only using Super Metroid, which led me to think that maybe Media Player is being used exclusively for this right now.

It could be related to the crashing somehow... I'll try putting everything into it's own folder and then see if that makes a difference or not.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded comment and keep up the good work! :)

Edited by CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT