LaunchBox Community Forums

Raine 32

knightCrawler

I am unfamiliar with Raine, but if it's like the other Arcade emulators, then you need to tell it's rom paths to look where you have a MAME Rom pack, so that it can look in there for BIOS files. Otherwise there may be special command line parameters that are needed.

What are you trying to emulate?

Yea, I haven't done Taito explicitly, but the older Taito stuff should also be in a regular MAME Rom Set if I recall. If you have a specific Taito rom set and need help with FBA, we do have a tutorial for that:

I avoided RAINE because it's actually not recommended for a lot of systems. MAME, FBA and the odd Supermodel covers mostly everything.

I do not really like the newer MAME I started playing it at MAME 84 but after that I hate how many games were removed, in the other hand Final Burn Alpha gathered great games and now is even doing console games, I would just scrape MAME for system specific games but not as a whole maybe using the filters on mame would give me better result but as of right now I do not like mame.

MAME is functionally no different than FBA, besides some slight standard's differences. FBA utilizes the MAME DAT from which we internalize the information passed. So we take the game names, information, and based on the check boxes during import pass on the games in to LaunchBox. Anything can still be ran from MAME. Just because it's not imported in to LaunchBox, doesn't mean it still isn't there. I used an FBA specific rom set, but both roms are called 'mario.zip', yet MAME plays the audio and FBA doesn't.

MESS is integrated in to MAME and does hundreds of other systems as well. I have tutorials for systems in MESS when there isn't a good emulator otherwise for them. I{ would be more than happy to answer questions you have about MAME, but the MAME / Arcade tutorials have a ton of info in them too. The MAME tutorial is out of date a bit, so plug in the latest version of the MAME Rom set and the latest MAME release, and it's functionally the same thing.

I do understand that MAME game database is much larger but I hate that I have to guess what game is working or to see that the database has been updated making games unplayable, I want to be able to press a game and play.. I do not like interruptions in my experience by having games that do not work. I played console games with no interruption so that's what I'm looking for. FBA gives me the closet to that even if it does not plays all that games that MAME does at least I can play without the interruptions and that's exactly what I got when I went to the arcades.

Edited by knightCrawler

LaunchBox wont import something if it's reported to not work in MAME, that's part of the entire point of utilizing the MAME Importer. Even when importing for FBA you use the MAME Importer, but the "Skip Games unplayable in MAME" box is not checked. Sure, there are still games that might work better or at all in other emulators, but in this case I think you might be surprised.

o0c0isF.png