LaunchBox Community Forums

Any one know a site that lists all the Microsoft crap needed for emulators?

jman85

So I messed around with my CPU and developer tools in WINdows 10 and essentially Murdered my OS. I was trying to get xebra running smoothly and in the process demul started loading at an insanely slow rate. So I'm ghosting my PC now and was wondering if anyone knows of a comprehensive list for all the Microsoft downloads required to run retroarch, dolphin, PC D.C., etc. I know I can go to the various emulators and usually see what's needed. I also just wanted to vent to other fellow launchbox users. I blame bill gates... 

Actually Windows 10 updates will solve a lot of that now automatically. Otherwise I use Ninite for OS re-installs, and let that do it's thing. I don't choose to download Steam through it, as it is an unattended installer, so it installs to the default location in C (and automatically says no to crap-ware or adware in the installers, if they even have it), but otherwise it's perfect. I also use IOBit's Driver Booster (which everyone should anyways and it in conjunction with Advanced System Care (which IOBit Uninstaller is fantastic for making sure a program is actually and completely uninstalled) to keep my PC cleaned up, tidy and secure), and the Pro version has the software version of it's driver portion for games. So the Game Components portion runs down the line, if there is anything else that is needed. I never need to bother with checking pre-req's as I generally have them all.

Thanks this all sounds very helpful after I get my system like it was before this Happened I'll do a full clone of windows in case I do it again which I probably will unintentionally. I started rummaging thru the registry and developer tools and CPU over clocking computer started acting bizarre. 

For a Win 10 gaming and emulator PC, you are most likely to need:

-directX 9 stuff (9.0c)

-32bit and 64bit vc++ runtimes for: 2015, 2013, 2012, 2010, 2008, 2005

-all the .NET framework versions and service packs available for Win10

-enable Legacy Components->DirectPlay in Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on or off

That should keep programs out of trouble.

• Like 1

Most of that stuff does get downloaded from Windows 8 and 10 updates now, there is a category from Ninite on it as well specifically. Especially the Microsoft stuff, and even a lot of 3rd party stuff is in there now for Windows updates. So if you're updated and you check all in that category for Ninite you get most of what you need right away. Also, DirectX 11 and 12 are backwards compatible with 9, but you still need to run the installer so that the dll's can be installed in to the proper location. So 11 and 12 override it, but it wont install the proper dll's (at least it didn't before for me). The Driver Booster Game Components thing is just a bonus, but it's apart of their premium, but it keeps things up-to-date in some regard and will fill in the rest of the gaps.

The DirectPlay option is a very very great suggestion, I completely blanked on that.

I've never seen vc++ redestribs in Windows Updates unless it is just service packs on top of the base installs. I've always had to install all my vc++ redistribs one by one (i have them all in a network folder and in dropbox), but maybe you know of some tool that does this.

For .NET frameworks, you have to enable some of it inside Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on or off. 

What is Ninite? 

There is one good stand alone installer of directX 9 that will install properly on Win 10. I needed it, as dx11 and 12 was not enough for some things.

I looked up Ninite. Looks pretty cool, although I don't know if I'd use it. I often custom install things and want specific versions, but it does look useful.

I would never use a program to install and/or update my drivers. But I guess some people might.

These tools do sound quite nice, but they're just not for me personally.

Yea, and that's totally understandable. I guess I've just re-installed enough operating systems that they've become second nature. The tools I use I chose because they work really really well. They've helped me fix a lot of systems that would otherwise take hours to fix. I don't even go to most websites to update software anymore. I use the FileHippo Update Manager because it works really well. It doesn't cover everything, but you get the idea. If you do want a specific version of some software, and you know you need, then don't check that box for Ninite, and unless you need to install 7 or 8 pieces of software at once that it has then it's almost useless. I also recall seeing .Net updates in the Windows 10 Updater, I could be wrong, but I recall that being the case now. I also love Driver Booster now. I ran it on my mother-in-laws system when we first moved in, and it solved a lot of issues she was having right away, because she simply didn't know that device x y and z needed drivers, or they had drivers. So it's certainly not for everyone, I learned PC's the hard and long way, and over the years I found software that completely screwed up systems, but then I found software that really really worked. CCleaner for example is a nightmare, or it was a nightmare. I've ran that once and it broke a system I had. So I've certainly learned the hard way, so any software I do recommend I've made sure it can work.

I got driverbooster and advanced system care pro and set them up. Most of those type of programs always ended up being a gimmick for me and doing more harm that good but I've gotta say these have been amazing so far. I went for pro on a sale related to black Friday spent like 15 dollars and it's changed my boot time to 15 seconds, automatically fixes pretty much everything and my system runs greater than ever. I also did the legacy components thing. I had to do all the C++ manually too and I found the directx 9c installer and that also added 11 and 12, I use 11 in dolphin and things run pretty smooth. big box runs great now for everything. There is also a program I found called JTK joy to key you may wanna check out. It's free for people that use "ease of access" features and lets you map functions to a game controller to do anything in windows. Left click on xbox one joystick button is the esc key an works for all my emulators. The only issue I have left is getting desmume to do full screen I tried various scripts but still no luck.

Sweet, I am glad I could shine some light on these pieces of software. Do be careful with Advanced System Care's RAM cleaner and the "Booster", as these are active portions of the software and can actually degrade performance more than it helps. I found this out with LaunchBox actually. I always used the automatic RAM cleaner, and turning it off made LaunchBox perform a lot, lot better.