LaunchBox Community Forums

Clean Up Images - Some Error(s) Occurred

FUBAR

Hi everyone - I'm new to launch box and was getting used to the import features and attempting to create a library for myself.  In turn I imported a few times and now have duplicate images on a few titles that I wanted to try and remove.  I found LaunchBox has this feature built in however when I run it I get an error message.

c6YNuIv.png

The error looks like its attempting to read the background image, I assumed from the selected title at the time.  I closed LaunchBox and ensured no game was selected and ran the cleanup again but it still fails.  Is this message by design or is this crashing before it does the cleanup completely?

Any suggestions are appreciated!! Thanks  

Edited by FUBAR

14 hours ago, Maddoc1007 said:

Restart your computer and try again or use task manager to see if there is an instance of LaunchBox/BigBox running in the background that hasn't closed fully or the images folder\.background is still open.

I'll try that when I get home but in theory Launchbox will always have an instance running  as it needs to be open to run the command.

11 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

It still removed 273 images, after the cache resets are you still having a lot of duplicates?

I do, I have duplicate images from the import testing I was doing when I first got Launchbox.

Thanks for the replies gents

As a workaround to my problem, I deleted the platform images folder before I attempt to re-load the roms.  Also the function does seem to work for the most part as it does delete images but I can't say its completely successful as I get the error message noted earlier.  I've tried opening LaunchBox as an administrator as well with the same results unfortunately.  

None of you get this error message then I guess?  

Edited by FUBAR

I do too usually, but that error doesn't interfere with removal of images (or it shouldn't). The Clean Up Images option should really only remove images that are no longer associated with a game, so if there is a duplicate image that is attached to a game, how is LaunchBox supposed to know that the image is bad? If you completely remove a game, then this is where it's supposed to shine. I guess there could be some sort of check, like if the image matches hash checks (though these can change), or if the file size, dimensions and file extension all match, it removes one of the images?

If you explain it that way it makes sense that the integrity check would have issues with existing games and duplicate images.  I would like to report I was able to resolve the issue after changing the following setting I stopped getting the error message.

Tools > Options 

• Images
  • Default Background

I changed it from "Use desktop wallpaper" to "Use LaunchBox default background"

XciuCvj.png

I guess LaunchBox was having difficulty gaining permissions over my Windows background and generating the error message.  I was able to replicate the error message by changing the setting back and forth.  It might be worth noting for future beta builds if others can replicate the error message too. :D

Thanks again for the help.