LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME importer hasn't copied required parent zips.

SpaceMidget75

Hi,

I've run the MAME import wizard from fresh using a complete 180 split set and MAME version 180. I selected the defaults, skip clones and prioritize North America. It's copied over 2766 rom zips to my LP Games folder. The problem is that a bunch of them, 1941u.zip for example, require a parent ROM that hasn't been copied over?

I thought it was supposed to also copy the required ROMs in a split set but only add the filtered choices to the database?

Thanks

Okay 1st off when you moved your ROMs into LB did you add that folder path to MAME if not MAME doesn't recognize where you are calling the file from most likely. To change that open the MAME.ini file and add the additional path to your LB\Games\Arcade. If you changed the path to to the LB folder without keeping the original path you can just add an additional path to the original ROMs folder inside of MAME and that should do the trick or you can just go to your original MAME\ROMs folder and copy everything and paste it into your LB folder.

Hey @DOS76

That's what I'm trying to avoid - having the entire MAME set on my active hard disk. I thought the point of having LB filter and copy the ROMS was to create a subset. If I still need to point to the complete set, I'm not sure what the point is? I thought Brad mentioned in the MAME import thread that the importer knows to import the additional required zips.

So for 1941u.zip, it should also copy 1941.zip.

If your whole MAME set is on another disk locally or the network you can add its path to the ini and it will get the files without needing to move them into LB. I mostly have seen Brad suggest not moving your ROMs into LB especially your MAME that would also be my recommendation.

If the program isn't importing the needed files you should make a BitBucket ticket and see if you can get it added to avoid confusion in the future.

I have all my complete sets for MAME and other collections on a removable drive and just have my selected/filtered ROMs for all systems on my actual gaming PC, and thus LB. Therefore, adding them to the ini isn't an option, so I either move the whole set onto my PC (I'm OCD :D), write an app to find the parents and copy them, or submit a ticket.

Hey. Thanks. Not to worry. I've just knocked up a quick app that scans the mame dat for any of my filtered roms that require a clone and then copies it over. It added about 300 more roms for a total of 3000 self contained games which won't be affected by my huge mame set being kept updated once a month and saves a bunch of disk space.

It's also copies only the required snaps, titles, videos etc