LaunchBox Community Forums

Quitting Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2

carpe_k9

So I have LB/BB set up with my XB1 wireless controller where if I press the (appropriate) "select" and "start" buttons, I immediately drop out of whichever game/emulator is currently loaded. I do the same thing with my Raspberry Pi. Nice and easy, right?

This is all well and good as it works across emulators and PC games, until I run FFXIII/XIII-2. Whenever you quit out of the game, there's a prompt that comes up and asks you if you want to exit the program. No other game (Deadpool, Super Meat Boy, Marvel Ultimate Alliance as examples) I run does this and I don't know how to get around this "problem" of not being able to drop directly back into LB/BB. I have access to a wireless keyboard and mouse, but I'm trying not to use them as I just want to control everything from the controller. Plus, if any family members decide to give it a whirl I don't want them to get all frustrated because it's another extra step that they don't know how to easily solve. Also, what if I don't want to get up off the couch? I'm sure everyone has those days. Sue me, I'm freaking lazy sometimes.

I suppose what I'm asking is if there's a way to configure and/or enable some option to allow the controller to at least click the "okay" or "yes" in the dialog box that pops up (but is invisible because the game screen still has priority).

Does that make sense? Apologies if I'm a little incomprehensible.

If there is no way to suppress the prompt, the only thing I can think of is to run an autohotkey script that looks for the prompt dialog or window and then sends a key press to it.

Or if you don't mind killing the game process, you could just kill the game process after escape or your select/start is pressed, also using the magic of autohotkey. 

Okay, I think I get what you're saying.... but how would I go about setting up this autohotkey thingamabob?

I mean there is literally no normal way to avoid the dialog box. It's a really, REALLY stupid design choice. I just want to save my game and then quit, but noooooooooooo.

well, autohotkey is a scripting language. there are lots of examples for finding windows and sending keys to them. unfortunately you'd have to do a little research so you could put together an .ahk script. it is extremely valuable and will allow you to do lots of things that LB doesn't have out of box. it is a programming language, but it is probably one of the easiest ones out there. again, there are lots of examples to use.

http://ahkscript.org/

Interesting. It says here on the second bullet point that one can "Remap keys and buttons on your keyboard, joystick, and mouse" which would be the first thing I'd try to do. However, would it be able to autodetect, of sorts, a popup box from a particular program and close it automatically if I wanted it to?

Regardless, bookmarked. Thanks!

Tell me the exact game process name as shown in task manager and I'll give you a little ahk executable to add to the Additional Apps tab in your LB game settings for that game.  Add it as a Before app.  It should close your game with popup and all automatically when you exit the game. 

Edit: On second thought, just tell me the window title name of that popup that you want to have the script automatically answer YES on. I need to know the window title name and the alt key combo press for answering yes, like if you are using a keyboard instead of a mouse to answer YES. So, the alt key for the yes button should show up on one of the letters in that button with an underline. If there is no underline, then press the alt key on your keyboard while looking at that popup and then one of the letters should appear with an underline. If there is no alt combo key, then tell me if just pressing enter chooses YES or if you have to tab some number of times to YES and then press enter.

Edited by ckp

I am not sure if this will help, but I use ClickOff 1.90 for such automations. I have it usually for applications that have random ad popups, like antivirus, but I have used it for other cases, like this one. It detects the name of the window popup and it can click a button on it, depending the text or position of the button. Really old forgotten program, but I have never stopped using it. 

Yeah, autohotkey does exactly this. It comes with Windows Spy so you can see the window title name and the exact button text name to click on. 

With ahk, it's as simple as one line of code to wait for the window title and one line of code to click the button.

However, if either way can't recognize the button, you have to do something instead like send tab key until you get to the button and then send enter, or send the alt hotkey combo if the button has one.

Sorry for the delay. Just got around to taking a picture of what's up.

That little "Final Fantasy XIII" prompt in the lower left corner is the issue. What happens is when I "select+start" to exit out of game and drop immediately into BB (or LB) mode, the game screen freezes and that appears under the game. I can alt-tab out to get to desktop and see it, but it retains focus over any other window that I bring up. Launchbox, firefox, etc. All I need is for the "Yes" to be selected and then everything will end as normal. This same thing happens for Final Fantasy XIII-2, but the things that change are the titles of the prompt and task manager process. Both change to "Final Fantasy XIII-2." Otherwise everything is the same.

As far as that alt-key thing goes, I can press alt-Y and it'll close the prompt.

Hope that helps.

20161228_170920.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ALRIGHT!

SO!

Sorry for the delayed response... again. I tried specifying that .exe as a "before" application and it didn't seem to work. I probably did something wrong, but there you go. However:

On 12/21/2016 at 6:57 PM, weltall said:

I am not sure if this will help, but I use ClickOff 1.90 for such automations. I have it usually for applications that have random ad popups, like antivirus, but I have used it for other cases, like this one. It detects the name of the window popup and it can click a button on it, depending the text or position of the button. Really old forgotten program, but I have never stopped using it. 

I tried this Clickoff thinger and it worked with the exact result that I was aiming for. Once I specified the correct button on both FFXIII and FFXIII-2 (it didn't get XIII-2 right away for some reason. Again, probably me) I could quit both games immediately. I also have the same problem with epsxe wanting me to confirm that I wanted to quit and it worked with that as well.

Thanks for checking out my problem. Now I just gotta get my htpc up to spec so I can run pcsx2 and dolphin like I want it to and then I'm gold.