LaunchBox Community Forums

High Memory? Slow?

Kevin_Flynn

Review your image sizes; I've reduced the size of my images by 50 - 75% and noticed a significant reduction in memory use < 300 Mb (while using City Hunter theme) and it's much snappier.

For example, all wheel images are now a maximum 600 px as the theme doesn't enlarge it more than a couple hundred. I've done similar steps to box art, etc.

I've kept a copy of the original image for the future-use when resolutions increase. I'm currently on a 1440p monitor.

That would make a little sense if the image quality selector is at 100%. By reducing it you're simply removing a lot of image information and thus less RAM per image (and even cache disk space potentially) is needed. I would say though, that the Database should still be kept with it's high quality images, though I would be interested in getting a batch method working.

So for example, it reads the resolution of the images, if it's over a certain specification, it goes ok, and reduces by a percentage amount and keeps aspect ratio. That's the only problem with doing something like that, it could be very destructive.

Correct - however, I wanted to retain full image quality. From what I understand Hyperspin already does this to a degree (setting resolution standards for sets) .

For some reason I didn't notice a huge improvement when lowering the quality - only after resizing. 

Edited by Kevin_Flynn