LaunchBox Community Forums

Help with sound stutter in retroarch

gam3rz3r0

I've never had an issue until now but when I try to play any games there is some slight stutter/crackle every so often in the music/sound. I can't recall changing any settings to do for it to do this but it's driving me crazy!  I've tried SNES, NES, and Sega Genesis systems with different cores and i having the issue on all of them.

specs for reference:

Windows 10

i7
16gb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

There's a couple of things that could be causing stutter and crackle in the audio.

Did you change your Audio Latency setting ? Setting it too low can cause crackle. 24 is generally the lowest I can go on my system here before encountering issues, sometimes I can get away with 16 depending on the core and game.

Did you change your Frame Delay setting in the Video options ? Setting this too high can also cause some issues. Here I can generally go between 5 and 12 depending on game and core. Heavier cores such as BSnes and Saturn may be lower.

Yeah 64 AUdio Latency and 0 Frame Delay is standard settings and you really shouldn't be getting any sound glitches with your system. I know Snes using the BSnes Accuracy core and the Mednafen Saturn can be taxing on lower end hardware but Genesis and NES is very light weight.

Did you change your audio driver in the driver settings by chance ? Xaudio is the default.

Are you using the stable 1.3.6 or a nightly build ?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have the same issue in both Rigs:

Case: Original Xbox
Mobo: Biostar A68N-5545
CPU: AMD A8 5545 1.7GHz@2.7GHz
GPU: Galax Nvidia GT 1030
RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1600 (16GB)
SSD: Western Digital Green (120 GB)
HDD: Seagate FireCuda (2 TB)
PSU: Apevia ITX-AP300W
Currently LB / BB and Retroarch are installed on the 2TB HDD and not on the 120GB SSD.

Case: PS3 Fat
Mobo: GigaByte GA-H81N-D2H 
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4570 @3.6GHz
GPU: Intel® HD Graphics 4600
RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1600 (16GB)
SSD: Sandisk Plus®  (240 GB)
HDD: Seagate FireCuda (2 TB)
PSU: Apevia ITX-AP300W
Currently LB / BB and Retroarch are installed on the 2TB HDD and not on the 240GB SSD.