LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch absolutely refuses to work !

skyboyextreme

i made sure everything is setup correctly, retroarch works just fine on it's own however it is absolutely refusing to work with launchbox, when i click on the game a blue circle appears for a moment then disappears as if the pc is trying to load something but then nothing happens :(

made sure all the naming is correct on the platform name and the platform core it just doesn't work like in the various youtube videos ... 

tried with super nintendo stuff with both the rom zipped and unzipped still no dice

Edited by skyboyextreme

Please post screenshots of your Retroarch emulator entry in LB: Emulator Details + Associated Platform tabs (with the "Default Command Line Parameters" column wide enough that we can see everything).

Saying "everything's correct, it just doesn't work" isn't likely to get us very far :/

And I assume the platform in your library is named "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" and not something like "SNES" or "Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)"? Also, is your path to Retroarch actually "D:\Consoles\Retro-Arch\retroarch.exe"? The official name doesn't have a hyphen so it's a bit odd. If that's actually the proper path on your computer though it's fine. You may also want to uncheck "attempt to hide console window". It shouldn't hurt anything but unless you have a specific reason to use it you can leave it unchecked.

If all of the above are true can you post screenshots of one of the games in your library -> Launcher and Emulation tabs?

3 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

And I assume the platform in your library is named "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" and not something like "SNES" or "Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)"? Also, is your path to Retroarch actually "D:\Consoles\Retro-Arch\retroarch.exe"? The official name doesn't have a hyphen so it's a bit odd. If that's actually the proper path though it's fine. You may also want to uncheck "attempt to hide console window". It shouldn't hurt anything but unless you have a specific reason to use it you can leave it unchecked.

If all of the above are true can you post screenshots of one of the games in your library -> Launcher and Emulation tabs.

the directory inwhich the games are actually stored on the hard drive is D:\Consoles\Nintendo - Super Entertainment System™\Cartridges

bath to retro arch itself is D:\Consoles\Retro-Arch\retroarch.exe

Edited by skyboyextreme

Just now, skyboyextreme said:

the directory inwhich the games are actually stored on the hard drive is D:\Consoles\Nintendo - Super Entertainment System™\Cartridges

No, I mean the name of the platform in your Launchbox library. They can be named/renamed any way you want so if your associated platform tab is directed to "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" like it shows in your screenshot, but the platform in your library is actually named "SNES" it's not going to work. They have to match.

I would rename your rom folder to remove that ™ symbol though... that could potentially cause problems. You'd need to delete them from your LB library and reimport afterwards.

You could move one rom to a different folder and import it to test first.

7 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

No, I mean the name of the platform in your Launchbox library. They can be named/renamed any way you want so if your associated platform tab is directed to "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" like it shows in your screenshot, but the platform in your library is actually named "SNES" it's not going to work. They have to match.

I would rename your rom folder to remove that ™ symbol though... that could potentially cause problems. You'd need to delete them from your LB library and reimport afterwards.

You could move one rom to a different folder and import it to test first.

as of now i have renamed the file that has the roms to D:\Consoles\Super Nintendo Entertainment System\Cartridges and re-imported

i don't quite understand this part though "I mean the name of the platform in your Launchbox library. They can be named/renamed any way you want so if your associated platform tab is directed to "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" like it shows in your screenshot, but the platform in your library is actually named "SNES" it's not going to work"

Edit : tried to put an unzipped smc game file in a folder named Super Nintendo Entertainment System directly and port it, still same issue, launchbox works with everything thing else except for retro arch this is really frustrating me :(

Edited by skyboyextreme

1 minute ago, skyboyextreme said:

as of now i have renamed the file that has the roms to D:\Consoles\Super Nintendo Entertainment System\Cartridges and re-imported

And? I take it it's still not working?

If not, I still need an answer to this:

4 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

This has zero to do with the actual name of the folder on your computer. I'm talking about the name of the platform in your Launchbox library. They can be named anything, and unless the name of the platform in your library matches what's in your "associated platform" tab, they won't connect. I can't tell what you have it named in your library based on your screenshots because "Consoles" isn't expanded.

I'll also need this:

11 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

If all of the above are true can you post screenshots of one of the games in your library -> Launcher and Emulation tabs?

Hmm. Everything looks good so far. They don't have to be unzipped by the way. The BSNES core accepts zips just fine.

1 minute ago, skyboyextreme said:

is that what you are asking for ?

Yep, that's what I needed to see. Thanks.

Can you confirm that the core .dll that you have in the associated platform tab is the same as what you're actually using in Retroarch? Go to your Retroarch folder -> cores and confirm that there's a "bsnes_accuracy_libretro.dll" in there.

1 minute ago, Zombeaver said:

Also, uncheck "attempt to hide console window" in the Emulator Details tab for Retroarch in Launchbox.

omg it worked !

the name of the core was different i'm pretty damn sure i had the correct core loaded ! :D

thanks a ton for your time, i'm kind of embarrassed now :'(

6 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

No worries buddy! It's the little things that'll get ya, believe me.

Glad it's all sorted now! :)

ty for your time , now it's time to tweak every little detail and have my dream virtual game collection all sorted and looking pretty, greetings from Egypt, thank you again

Edited by skyboyextreme