LaunchBox Community Forums

Translation error in german version

rootshell

I hope this is the right forum to post this.. When you start the artwork download assistant for already imported games and klick forward until you are at the step where you choose which media to download from emumovies you have a checkbox to check if you want to prioritize that media over LBDB and Wikipedia. In the german translation the meaning is reversed, so you would check if you want LBDB to be prioritized.

Hope this helps. If you need help i can formulate a new sentence in german, but i guess you already have someone in the team to do that.

Sincerely,
Phil.

BTW thanks for this amazing piece of software, i bought a new hdd to install Windows just so i can use LB! I really like it, only thing that i dont like is the performance of LB when you have a big collection, BB runs fine so far.

EDIT: My specs are i7-6850K (6C,12T), 32GB DDR4, Samsung 850 SSD and Geforce 980ti, ~40k roms. These are a lot of roms but i expected better performance with this system.

EDIT2: Is it possible to disable loading of backgrounds of any kind in LB when selecting a game? I really dislike that it changes all the time when looking through the list but didnt find any option in the settings. Maybe i am just blind 9_9

Edited by rootshell

I'll pass this translation note on to Jason for you. Otherwise, at least for the background image, go to Tools -> Options then Default Background on the left. I've personally set this to use my wallpaper, but you can set it to a specific image. Then, once you have it set to what you want (though you can also use the default background), go up a few options to Background Priorities and uncheck all of the boxes here, or check for just the ones you want. Image Priorities is a premium feature though.

To your library performance, you do have a really large library, and while we're not certain it's a bug or users computers, we do know it's an issue that keeps cropping up. Turning some things off can speed it up a bit. Making sure LaunchBox isn't caching (and with a 40k library that COULD take a while), Less images to load will help (so editing image priorities for the background could help), and less information in the game details bar (even if you don't use it, that could potentially help as less info needs to be loaded on demand). Turning off auto-playing music and video can help too, and potentially disabling the controller support for LB. It's really hard to nail it down to one specific thing, so if you do those settings individually and performance increases let me know. I am surprised you don't have performance issues in Big Box though... that is surprising. Did your Big Box finish caching by chance?

"Background Priorities" is what i was missing, thank you! I already bought a subscription so changing the settings is doable xD Where can i see if LB / BB is caching at the moment? Auto-play is already disabled so i will try and disable the info-bar and gamepad support. I didnt test BB for long, because i am still scraping Metadata one platform at a time and only test in between. And because my girlfriend seperated from me for now i only have a 6mbit connection instead of my old 200mbit. Thanks to the universe (and my lifetime subscriptions) im not impatient (but eager :x). This could also mean that LB is still caching in the background. I guess i should wait until i am finished scraping before i make up my mind on performance.

Thanks a lot for your in-depth answer!

If you're still downloading a ton of images, then it could still be easily caching. You can check the performance monitor and see if there are cpu and hard drive tasks for LaunchBox images when you scroll through, but you'll notice when it's caching. If you select a bunch of games and press F5 (which is refresh), you can observe what the caching behavior looks like. Like I said, I never want to rule out the possibility of bugs, and there's always more performance to be gained with updates from Jason, but I want to make sure we figure out what else it could be.

I am now finished with importing, scraping and caching. Performance of LB didnt get better much when switching between platforms, but scrolling now runs fine.
BB runs perfectly, not a single lag, slow loading nor any other hiccups. Just perfect. And that with all the media i could get including video for every game that is in emumovies DB.

Edit: I feel the need to say that i am absolutely amazed. BigBox runs perfect even in UHD. Best decision ever to switch to LB!

Edited by rootshell