LaunchBox Community Forums

Tip for RetroArch N64 C Button Binding (No Hold)

fromlostdays

I put this in Monkeys because it's only really useful in a very specific set of circumstances. So far that set of circumstances amounts to Smash Bros 64 in RetroArch for controller users. I'm taking the time to write it out because it took me a while of heartarch to figure it out, but wound up being really simple.

So the problem is that in RetroArch (any 64 core) the feature of "Hold this button to activate the C buttons" is sluggish, at least for me, in a game like Smash. I need responsiveness. Smash Bros jump ability for all characters is limited to either pressing up on the joystick or pressing a C button. I never felt right using the joystick, even on the 64, and holding a trigger every time I wanted to jump was not really an option for me, so in essence I wanted to map the "Activate C buttons" button AND the "Jump" button (in this case any C button) to the same button on the controller, which it turns out is totally possible using game overrides. You can do it all within the RA menu. Just open up the quick menu, go to controls. Easier to explain via example:

Active C buttons: bound to the B button on my controller.

C(up): Bound to the B button on my controller. 

Now when I press the B button is quickly activates the C buttons AND presses C(up) and viola, B button jumps. Then just scroll up to save game override and you're good to go.

Only useful if you're really not going to be using any of the other C buttons.*

Yall, I'm serious, that took me wayyyyy to long to figure out. But now its time to play some Smash.

Sure, no problem. If you mean the naming of the buttons, it's a nightmare. Especially for the 64. You just have to remember that YOUR buttons, the ones on your controller, whether you're using a logitech, PS or Xbox controller, are named according to the super nintendo controller in RetroArch. I searched for a long time yesterday and couldn't find a way to change it. I figured there would be a cfg file for Retropad somewhere, but I couldn't find one nor any documentation on where the button names are stored. Which sucks because it means you have to solve Einsteins Conundrum when you want to change the standard Retropad layout, which I always do. 

Quick resource for understanding why the buttons are named like they are in Retropad: https://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=RetroPad