LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox not loading the right rom from an archive

desumoyo

Hello

I used a goodset pack for a bunch of platform, all supported by RetroArch, as you probably know, goodset archives contain every version of a game, and the hacks, and the prototypes.

The problem is that when I try to load a game, it start up the wrong rom (usually a hack), managing the archive by RetroArch or by Launchbox doesn't help, Is there a way to obtain a menu allowing me to choose what rom to start? Either in Bigbox or in RetroArch (maybe via a CLI arg?)

Thanks

You're not going to like it, but I would recommend against using good sets, or any sets with multiple roms in one zip. That's always going to cause confusion. The easiest solution to this is to get a no intro pack and use that. Then, if you want, you can make a seperate platform for the different regions or game hacks etc. What you're wanting seems like it would sort of disrupt the point of using a front end to launch. 

Having said that, I'm not exactly sure how the new feature that just released "combines" games. I haven't used it yet. But it might work just like you're asking. You'd have to unzip the roms and import them all side by side and let launchbox combine them. (However, look into the feature more, I think its more meant for games with multiple disks). 

Goodset it such a nightmare if you unzip the games and add them LB will only show one game and make additional apps for the other ones that are accessible from the right click menu. If you want to keep them archived though then there is no way I know of to make this happen

1 hour ago, fromlostdays said:

You're not going to like it, but I would recommend against using good sets, or any sets with multiple roms in one zip. That's always going to cause confusion. The easiest solution to this is to get a no intro pack and use that. Then, if you want, you can make a seperate platform for the different regions or game hacks etc. What you're wanting seems like it would sort of disrupt the point of using a front end to launch. 

Having said that, I'm not exactly sure how the new feature that just released "combines" games. I haven't used it yet. But it might work just like you're asking. You'd have to unzip the roms and import them all side by side and let launchbox combine them. (However, look into the feature more, I think its more meant for games with multiple disks). 

Thanks, I'll go with the no-intros, but is there a way to reuse already scrapped metadata? Launchbox DB servers are so slow >.<

So if you delete all the games for a system and then reimport, you shouldn't have to redownload anything. The only thing that should be checked on import is "match with LB database", uncheck everything else and it should automatically sync up with all your existing art and metadata. You may have to go into the LB menu up top and "refresh art", but that's it. 

• 2 years later...

I have the same problem. ROMs with hacks, trainers or different regions being in a single archive take up significantly less space. Repacking on different archives means significantly increasing the amount of space occupied.
Inspecting the entire collection and removing unnecessary ROMs is too time consuming task for a large collection.

It would be very convenient to get additional application (as is now done for similar archives) but for ROMs in one archive.

Such functionality is already provided by a number of other game managers, and I would be glad to see it in LaunchBox.