LaunchBox Community Forums

Possible Bug When Adding Roms

Clutz450

So I just bought myself a new laptop and was starting over fresh with LaunchBox.  I created a connection between my old laptop and new laptop, went to Tools->Import->Rom Files, navigated to the folder on my old laptop and told LaunchBox to copy the roms into the LaunchBox Games folder.  While that was going on my laptop restarted due to a Windows Update.  I wasn't sure how far it had gotten so I just decided to start over from the beginning assuming that LaunchBox would copy over only the roms it was missing.  But when everything was done I noticed that I had duplicates of roms in my games folder.  The duplicate roms had the same rom name but ended with -1 at the end of the file name.  So it seems like if you have any roms in the LaunchBox games directory and try to scan a different directory with the intent of adding just the new roms to the LaunchBox Games folder that it will actually copy all of the roms and not just the new ones.  At least that is what I am assuming is going on.  Let me know what you think and if this is something that needs to be fixed or if I was just using the import and copy roms feature in an incorrect way.  Thank you.

Edited by Clutz450

You weren't using it in an incorrect way, but I assume the philosophy is to not replace existing roms. Sometimes, especially when it comes to certain media, I don't think Jason was comfortable making certain assumptions. I'm not sure if it should be changed, but I get the duplicates can suck. It is easy to sort by date or name though and delete them within Windows fairly easy. You could delete the games in your LaunchBox, without removing the files, use a tool to rename the games and remove "-1" from everything, then re-import and use the uncheck all button to uncheck the image and media check boxes. It will re-import really fast, and all the artwork you downloaded will re-attach automatically.

Thanks for your reply.  Yeah, it's not that big of a deal and I'm sure most people would just import their roms and just leave them where they were.  At least that's what I was doing on my old laptop.  But since I got the new one I needed to transfer them all over to the new one anyways.  Plus this time around I'm trying to put everything into the LaunchBox folder so that when I finally do have my "perfect" setup I can just easily move the LaunchBox folder to another computer and just have everything work if I need to.

@Clutz450 I'd suggest scheduling your updates moving forward. I have mine setup to only complete updates etc. during hours in where I'm not likely to be on the machine. Especially if you are using Windows 10, once it decides it's going to update and reboot, there is no stopping it's madness.

Edited by Zeromod
  • Like 1