LaunchBox Community Forums

Probably a dumb question...

angelobodetti

Hi All,

This might be a dumb question... What are these eXoDOS sets i am seeing? Does it turn dos in to more of a rom based setup where you don't need to install every game individually?

I have zero clue what it is or how i works. I see DOS romsets and then eXoDOS sets - any clarification is appreciated.

Thank you! 

Well, if you found DOS games online then chances are you're not installing them anyways. Some DOS games will have issues unless you run their config or setups (especially to customize some settings), but for the most part, eXoDOS is mostly a really good way to get DOS games in the best shape they can be in. They're all of quality, distributed with their disc / disk images where needed, and special conf files when needed. I don't remember if they ship with manuals and drm documents (like wheels), but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. It's worth noting too that the games aren't cracked or anything like that either, they're legit copies of the originals.

2 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

Well, if you found DOS games online then chances are you're not installing them anyways. Some DOS games will have issues unless you run their config or setups (especially to customize some settings), but for the most part, eXoDOS is mostly a really good way to get DOS games in the best shape they can be in. They're all of quality, distributed with their disc / disk images where needed, and special conf files when needed. I don't remember if they ship with manuals and drm documents (like wheels), but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. It's worth noting too that the games aren't cracked or anything like that either, they're legit copies of the originals.

Thank you, so would I still install eXoDOS games the exact same way as other DOS games? Or do they use their own emulator? I'm still foggy on how that all works.

No, they're just DOS games. They still use DOSBox. It's just like any other rom set, except they're DOS games so they're PC games, and not single rom files. You treat them as you do any other DOS game. eXo wanted to make it easy and accurate, so the games are supposed to be played using their custom conf files (when a game has one), and he is working on a way to integrate it easily in to LaunchBox, but I just ran the DOS Importer and I use the custom conf files for games that give me trouble. The set is just a good quality set, and has had a lot of work put in to it.

1 minute ago, SentaiBrad said:

No, they're just DOS games. They still use DOSBox. It's just like any other rom set, except they're DOS games so they're PC games, and not single rom files. You treat them as you do any other DOS game. eXo wanted to make it easy and accurate, so the games are supposed to be played using their custom conf files (when a game has one), and he is working on a way to integrate it easily in to LaunchBox, but I just ran the DOS Importer and I use the custom conf files for games that give me trouble. The set is just a good quality set, and has had a lot of work put in to it.

Perfect, that was incredibly helpful.