LaunchBox Community Forums

Hi.

Very new here. I was able to setup Launchbox with dolphin ( thank you youtube ;) ) . Did a quick test with Mario Kart double dash and all is working good with keyboard, but I am not sure if it would be possible to set up 4 controllers to play split screen Mario kart ? Google was not much help and I did a quick search on the forum and still nothing. 

I would also like to be able to use 2 of those controllers for coop play in other emulators like retroarch for SNES or NES games ? I would like to be sure that this is possible before I go and buy 4 controllers. probably going to be cheap wired controllers for now. Something like the Speedlink XEOX pro ( XUM-FB9-2PB-1). 

Controller mappings are being handled by the respective emulator, Launchbox has nothing to do with it. I mention it just in case it hasn't been clear.

To answer your question: Yes, most Emulators - including Dolphin and Retroarch - support multiple Controllers, I personally have up to 9 Controllers attached to my system, different Controllers for different systems.

Windows' handling of multiple Controllers isn't very sophisticated however. Sometimes the OS decides to shuffle the Joystick order around, and some emulators do not handle changed Joystick IDs very well.

In your case, by buying 4 identical Controllers, that may be not much of an issue though, since each Joystick ID - even if shuffled - would refer to an identical Controller anyway.

So yeah, you may go ahead and buy these Controllers. Should work out.

Edited by IlhanK
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I received a 4-player xtension control board from rec room masters. Running Launchbox. Games run fine. MAME seems to work with re-config mapping, however I cannot get retroarch to register the changes made to the arcade controllers 1-4. For example: Super castlevania IV: of the 6 buttons of player one, only the jump button works. Another of the 6 buttons seems to greatly speed up gameplay (character moves faster and timer moves faster/faster music). Any provions/videos/advice on the 4-player xtension. I see plenty of videos for the 2-player control board, but not the 4-player control board.