LaunchBox Community Forums

noob Questions

joskei

So this is going to be a partial "I didn't search a lot before asking", so if these questions are already answered, feel free to flame me. I'm new here (1st day), and I've hit moderator status on the DB site. Most of my questions revolve around that:

1. Is there a problem with the images? It seems like I have to approve the same image twice

2. What exactly are the requirements for the artwork? I'm seeing a lot of artwork that looks like someone took the pen tool and removed the non-text portions of a logo (and now it looks odd, missing chunks, etc) for things like clear background logos. I've currently been skipping them, because my natural inclination is to reject them. My reasoning is that if you have the skill the use the pen tool and you can cleanly remove the offending pieces, you should have the skills to fill in the missing portions of the logo. If I'm being too harsh, please let me know.

3. Is there currently any way to sync launchbox with the DB? The website is painfully slow to me (for some reason), and it would be much faster if I could edit items locally and batch upload them. If there is not currently a way, has there been thoughts on providing an API of some sort to allow this (REST and/or direct socket connection for example)?

4. How strict are the requirements of characters and such being accurate in relation to non-English character games? Example: 

Akumajō Dracula X vs Akumajo Dracula X

5. How long after the an item is fully approved before my local copy of launchbox can pick up the changes?

6. Are there preferred resolutions/filters/etc for the screenshot images? (Example: I generally run 25% scan lines on my emus)

Thanks for you patience!

Edited by joskei

A lot of this can be answered by the guidelines. Otherwise, there isn't a way to sync up LaunchBox to the Database, but a feature to upload metadata and media from LB to the Database has been long planned, it's just much more difficult than simply implementing it. We did spin up another server recently after being hit hard with traffic, but it shouldn't be too slow. There is more optimizations that could probably be made, but I don't consider it slow for me. We also have had questions about an API, and while we wouldn't neceserilly rule it out, it is certainly no where near a priority at the moment. Jason would have to create it, and he's the only coder behind everything.

After a Database request change has been approved, it can take up to 24 hours for it to take effect, and then at midnight on the day it goes in effect, LauchBox will see the new information and prompt users to update their metadata.xml when they try to reach the database. Once you've done all that, the new info is available.

If you're approving the same image twice, there might be a bug, or someone is changing it twice in a row. It's hard to tell without specific instances.

Regardless of the guidelines, if something is bad artwork, something is out of place or glaring, then reject it with the proper reasons. As for preferred resolutions, again follow the guidelines, but I would prefer no added filters to a game. Something that cleanly scales up a game is fine, like internal resolution or x3 or x4, etc. However, if it applies any sort of smoothing, scanlines, or effects that aren't present in the game I would say that it doesn't represent it accurately. This stuff is user preference, so leaving it as close to default is best.

7 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

A lot of this can be answered by the guidelines. Otherwise, there isn't a way to sync up LaunchBox to the Database, but a feature to upload metadata and media from LB to the Database has been long planned, it's just much more difficult than simply implementing it. We did spin up another server recently after being hit hard with traffic, but it shouldn't be too slow. There is more optimizations that could probably be made, but I don't consider it slow for me. We also have had questions about an API, and while we wouldn't neceserilly rule it out, it is certainly no where near a priority at the moment. Jason would have to create it, and he's the only coder behind everything.

Thank for the informative answer. I have bookmarked the guidelines. Why exactly is he the only coder behind all of this (personal choice, source code protection, aliens)?

As to the image item, it seems more like a bug to me. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something going on in the backend that I was unaware of that required me to do it twice. 

He's the only one because he's the only one we can afford. xD He's his own boss, and he hired a few of us as is. In order to hire a proper coder though at an appropriate wage would be very expensive. Jason also has a very very very high bar of quality when it comes to things, and code is the top of that list. We did have a user @Vlansix helping out, donating his time for the Database, but unfortunately life stepped in and he needed to take some time away. We're hoping he'll be able to come back soon, but @Jason Carr has expressed wanting to jump in to the Database sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

He's the only one because he's the only one we can afford. xD He's his own boss, and he hired a few of us as is. In order to hire a proper coder though at an appropriate wage would be very expensive. Jason also has a very very very high bar of quality when it comes to things, and code is the top of that list. We did have a user @Vlansix helping out, donating his time for the Database, but unfortunately life stepped in and he needed to take some time away. We're hoping he'll be able to come back soon, but @Jason Carr has expressed wanting to jump in to the Database sooner rather than later.

I'm quite aware how expensive it is. I've been doing professional development for 18 years ;) If there are some tech issues that you guys need help with, I can pitch in some time here and there (assuming we're on a linux/unix) platform. If its Windows/.NET stack, I'm useless.