LaunchBox Community Forums

Trying to make games in specific arcade playlist use a different emulator

alexeon

I have imported a full 0.183 non-merged romset and used the new playlist feature to get capcom, neo-geo etc. playlists.    To start I had every arcade game set to use MAME, but I want games in certain playlists like Neo-Geo to use retroarch instead of mame.  I first tried to go to the Neo-Geo playlist and hit ctrl-A to select everything and changed the emulator to retroarch.  I then added an associated platform in the emulator settings to say the name of the playlist which is "SNK Neo Geo MVS" and added -L "cores\fbalpha2012_libretro.dll" for the core, checked the box and hit ok.  Then i went to try a game, which was metal slug and it loaded up in retroarch no problems, so I thought all was well and tried to do the same exact thing with Capcom Play System I.  I did all the same steps but CPS I games would not open, and even tho I did not change any settings with Neo Geo now they will not open either, literally the same game that opened a few minutes before will not open now.  I tried manually opening a CPS I and Neo Geo game through retroarch and they will open that way, but not through launchbox.   I have no idea why it worked the for the first game I tried but now it doesnt work at all, any suggestions?

Did you bulk edit the emulator to a different one? It normally would be hard to change emulators for some games in an existing platform, but since it's a playlist it's much easier. Highlight them all, then right click and edit. From the drop down choose Emulator, then from the second drop down choose the new emulator. However, this will change the emulator for that game across all playlists (I believe). Being able to set a custom emulator for just that playlist does sound like a great idea though, so you should request it bu clicking Issues/Requests at the top of the page. Don't forget to vote on the ticket you make.

However, if the playtlist treats that game as a unique entity (which I don't think it does), then changing the emulator for it there would only change it there, but I do think that it's just a copy of sorts that is linked. So a change made to a game in a playlist is a change to the game across all of LB.

Yes, I did ctrl+A to highlight all the games in the playlist and used the bulk edit wizard to change the emulator.  I do not mind that it changes the emulator across all of LB, that is what I want it to do.  The problem is that the games will not load period now.  I used the bulk edit wizard to change the emulator, added the associated platform for retroarch and the first game i tried which was a Neo Geo MVS game loaded fine with retroarch, I went to do the same exact steps for CPS and now neither CPS or Neo Geo MVS games will load, which makes no sense to me because the Neo Geo game loaded fine on first try.

Well, the associated platforms page is most important for during import and if you use command lines. If you're already done importing, and you're not using command lines in that page, then it actually shouldn't matter. If the games are already using MAME, but no command line is given in the associated platforms page, then it shouldn't matter. It does matter if you put multiple systems in there and use commands; So think MESS and RetroArch.

12 hours ago, defiance187 said:

Off the top of my head I would say you need to put Arcade as your associated platform and not the playlist name.

Thanks, that got it working the way I was trying.  Now every game I have in the SNK NEO-GEO, CPS I, II, III and Cave playlists open with Retroarch using the FBA core and every other arcade game opens with MAME

• Like 1