LaunchBox Community Forums

help with retroarch

prvee

58 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Any version of the Retroarch Mame core older than the latest is bound to give some sort of problems. It's only recently with the latest version that the Mame core is even worth considering.

Yea, pretty much. Hell, I didn't even know MAME RA was worth it now. Have they reduced the amount of extra steps or is that still an issue with MESS?

Not sure if i should start a new topic since this is no longer a retroarch problem but since this is where the discussion is i will continue here.

I have moved over to mame as sugested with my shiny new 183 romset and all games are working.  set my controller config and find when i get into a game i cant insert a coin or start player one. i set start and select in general inputs for button  9 and 10 but apparently thats not what they are for. after some research all i found is to hit tab in the game and set the coin and start 1p buttons in there. doing that for 3000 games is INSANE so more research. found that i should make a custom controller config with those button maps in there so i created a default.cfg file in the ctrl folder. 

<mameconfig version="10">
    <system name="default">

<!--coin start global --!>

<port tag=":P1_P2" type="START1" mask="128" defvalue="128">
                <newseq type="standard">
                    JOYCODE_1_BUTTON10
                </newseq>
         </port>
         <port tag=":SYSTEM" type="COIN1" mask="1" defvalue="1">
                <newseq type="standard">
                    JOYCODE_1_BUTTON9
                </newseq>
         </port>
    </system>
</mameconfig>

named it default.cfg and removed all other files from the folder.

doesnt work.

if your still reading i have a side problem while playing  games.  some will randomly speed up.  sometimes they stop sometimes i just keeps going till i hit esc.

Like I was saying previously in this thread, when you hit Tab and bring up the menu right at the top you should see Input (General) and Input (Machine).

The settings in the General section are global but can be overridden by changing them in the Machine section.

When I am setting up Mame on my computers I set up my global controls in the General section first and then on per game basis I will do the Machine. Setting the Coin and Start in the General section will make that the same for every game.

As for your question about games speeding up or stopping I have no idea though my first guesses would be either the game is somehow not properly emulated, your system may not be fast enough for it or maybe you have something else weird going on. Without more details I just don't know.

ok. looks like i missed that in general inputs. i assumed it would be under player 1 ,2 etc. just looked under other controls and found it. thanks .

i guess ill see if i can nail down when its speeding up with more info. however wouldnt a TOO SLOW system slow down not speed up.

i have a skylake cpu. granted its only a pentium but its almost as modern as you can get. kabylake wasnt out yet when i built this.