LaunchBox Community Forums

LOAD ERROR -- BizHawk issue with PCE-CD

ww97

I tried Rainbow Islands (PC Engine CD version) in BizHawk. The bios has been set. When I load it directly from BizHawk, it loads well, but when I load it via Launchbox, after an [Enter], it shows "LOAD ERROR!" message. Does it need a parameter? I didn't see any for BizHawk.

Also, don't tell me to switch to Mednafen, cuz when I was trying it for Lynx, I discovered that it sucks for me.

Edited by ww97

If BizHawk has the same quality control as Mednafen or RetroArch, then I would be more than willing to bet a setting is off, or a BIOS and game is corrupted. I never got in to BizHawk, to be honest, it's not recommended as one of the emulators to use, so even I never bothered, but that's me. There is a general list of well regarded emulators for one reason or another, and usually emulation quality is the top reason.

I switched to Mednafen, but the prob is not fixed yet. Without a parameter, it does not load. I used the parameter pce.cdbios, typing only syscard3.pce (hence the BIOS is the root Mednafen folder) and it loads, but it hangs on "JUST A MOMENT..." maybe it has just loaded up the bios file as a ROM file, as the border bar shows "syscard" instead the name of the game.

Edited by ww97

I'm not much up on mednafen standalone, but RetroArch and Mednafen use a similar BIOS set up. Doesn't it need to be specifically named in a specific sub folder, not the root folder? What the folder should be named, I don't know. For RetroArch it's the system folder, but it's different for mednafen Standalone.

11 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

Did you set the associated command line parameters properly? Make sure the name and command line are correct? Are your games using RetroArch in LB? I ask because you said you were using another emulator, so they do need to be switched over with the Bulk Edit Wizard.

LB? I'm not noob on emulation, but on Libretro, yes.

LB = LaunchBox. When you edit RetroArch in LaunchBox, there is the associated platforms tab. That needs to be set up properly with the command line and the name. If you're swapping around Emulators they need to be switched in LaunchBox by using the Bulk Edit Wizard, but if you're just changing RetroArch cores then it gets changed in the Associated Platforms tab.

• 2 weeks later...
On ۱۳۹۶/۲/۲ ه‍.ش. at 3:54 AM, SentaiBrad said:

LB = LaunchBox. When you edit RetroArch in LaunchBox, there is the associated platforms tab. That needs to be set up properly with the command line and the name. If you're swapping around Emulators they need to be switched in LaunchBox by using the Bulk Edit Wizard, but if you're just changing RetroArch cores then it gets changed in the Associated Platforms tab.

Sorry for inactivity.

1. I unchecked every associated platforms instead of TurboGrafx-16 (though I want it for PCECD; my PCE16 emu is Magic Engine) cuz I only want it for PCECD. The Mednafen_PCE core is installed. Retroarch opens, but shows a black screen. I tried it again when I entered the PCE parameter (checked in associated platforms) in the "Default command-line parameter" also. But no change.

Checking that box does nothing. If you want to change a games emulator you need to use the Bulk Edit wizard. Click on a platform on the left, then a game, then press Ctrl + A. From here, right click a game and select edit. Then, choose Emulator from the drop down, then the new emulator from the new drop down. Unchecking the default box only matters during import. Once imported it doesn't change a single thing. If you're changing cores in RetroArch though, then you edit the command line parameters and replace the old core name with the new core name.

I do use the Mednafen (but called Beetle in RA) PCE Fast core for TurboGrafx-CD now. The first tutorial I did on that was outdated and there is a second one. You just need to make sure you have the right BIOS (there are more bad ones out there than good), and the proper and correct rips of games.

• Like 1

I did it, black screen again. Maybe that BEW was just for changing the emu for a platform, that I can do it easily in Manage Emus. I think it's nonsense. I'm sure that the bios and ISOs are good dump, since it worked on BizHawk and Mednafen when not using LB. For RetroArch itself, does it need additional settings more than downloading the core and copying the BIOS?

(P.S.: Weirdly, when I typed the parameter address in "Default CL Parameters" in the first tab, it opens up RA (with a black screen) but when I erased it, RA wouldn't open up even! So, on the contrary of your idea, this also does matter. ;))

No, the default box only matters during import. I'm not sure how BizHawk handles things, so I can't speak to how that works. If something is not launching in RetroArch through LaunchBox, then a setting is off. It can simply be the names aren't matching, the right name isn't in the associated platforms page correctly, or the command line parameters are off. It could even be some of the check boxes or extra command lines that shouldn't be there (if you added any), the BIOS or the games could be bad, the cue sheet specifically could be wrong, it could be any number of things.

3 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

No, the default box only matters during import. I'm not sure how BizHawk handles things, so I can't speak to how that works. If something is not launching in RetroArch through LaunchBox, then a setting is off. It can simply be the names aren't matching, the right name isn't in the associated platforms page correctly, or the command line parameters are off. It could even be some of the check boxes or extra command lines that shouldn't be there (if you added any), the BIOS or the games could be bad, the cue sheet specifically could be wrong, it could be any number of things.

Currently, the inaccuracy is priory RA-based than LB-based, cause it tested them again on RA without LB, and got black screen again.

Ah, then if it's not even launching outside of LaunchBox, then it's most certainly a BIOS or bad disc image. In some cases, like N64 and PS1, since they're using different rendering engines in some cases, and things are wildly different, you need to have your settings set very carefully, and you can't use shaders. For most everything else, leaving things at default and it should work just fine, so if it is then that leaves the BIOS and Disc Images.

• 2 months later...
On ۱۳۹۶/۲/۱۶ ه‍.ش. at 0:56 AM, SentaiBrad said:

Ah, then if it's not even launching outside of LaunchBox, then it's most certainly a BIOS or bad disc image. In some cases, like N64 and PS1, since they're using different rendering engines in some cases, and things are wildly different, you need to have your settings set very carefully, and you can't use shaders. For most everything else, leaving things at default and it should work just fine, so if it is then that leaves the BIOS and Disc Images.

Finalllllllllllllllllllllly :-) The prob is fixed for me a bunch of days ago. I should load up .cue files in LB instead of .bin files. All worked well in RA.

Close the thread plz

Edited by ww97