LaunchBox Community Forums

Fake Clear Logo / Wheel Art?

Enverex

So I was trying to fill out more of my collection with the correct artwork and noticed that a lot had fake / home-made wheel art which looked something like old-school word-art. I assumed I'd accidentally picked it up somewhere else but then found this - http://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/images/19188

As you can see there is the correct Wheel Art / Clear Logo, but also a homemade / fake one. I assume others have just the fake artwork which is where I've ended up with it from.

Is this allowed? I can see it very quickly becoming an issue because people's libraries would end up filled with this fake art rather than the actual logo artwork that they'd be expecting (and it wouldn't get replaced unless people go back through and delete the fake stuff first).

The "fake/homemade" art was actually made as place holders for some of the wheel art that hasn't been made yet. I don't believe a full set of wheel art has been made for Wonderswan Color (and a few other systems as well) but it's been awhile since I've checked as most of the art originally came from HyperSpin. It's been difficult to find quality scans of boxart and such for some of these systems over the years and that is why generic art was made to kind of act as place holders until the real thing has been made. As I said, it's been awhile since I've checked so I can't say for certain that complete wheel art sets haven't been made for some of these more obscure systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just noticed that there's a LOT of this and it appears to be taking priority over actual genuine artwork that exists in the DB now. This is pretty terrible as I'm going to need to go through my entire media library now and delete it, but more of an issue is that this fake artwork also needs to be deleted from the DB itself where real art exists (but then there's still the other issue I mentioned that WHEN the real art is added, it won't automatically replace the bad artwork already downloaded).

There's not even an easy way to check this en-masse so I fear whilst the initial concept made sense, it's created a large mess.

I don't use the LB database for art personally, only for descriptions and that's it. I usually source out my own art or use my HyperSpin sets (I was a HyperSpinner before I was a BigBoxer). So I'm not sure exactly what's going on with the art on the db or whose overseeing/maintaining it.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I do the same Riffman, but if i can get better artwork i will try and put it on to the DB to save other people time in looking for it. Also the fake Wheel Art just needs deleted where the real Wheel Art exists and there shouldn't be a problem. I did start making WonderSwan Wheel art but its not very good quality, as theres no good box art to make it from so i have give up for now, maybe get around to it again in the future some time.

I have just went through the DB looking for duplicates heres the numbers 2 WonderSwan duplicates and 4 WonderSwan Color duplicates, 6 in total out of over a hundred. I have deleted them all but i feel you guys have alot more Wheel logos than the DB holds, so if you could take the time to grab all the Wheel logos you have in your collections for both systems and send me them i could upload them to the DB and solve this problem. We might even get a good start in completing both these systems once and for all.

Edited by RetroNi

That's not too bad. I just noticed that almost all my games had this fake art now (and what tipped me off was one that I was certain had real art before had been replaced).

The main issue that I mentioned before was that should any real artwork be uploaded in future, it won't get downloaded because I'm no-longer technically "missing" the wheel art for those games now. I can't think of an easy way around that.

Edited by Enverex
Screwy text

I see your point, the only way round it i can think of is to delete everything in the clear logos folder before scraping for new artwork. I found a WonderSwan clear logos pack which i will be uploading later, has maybe 40 clear logos, but couldn't find any WonderSwan Color clear logos, just a cartridge logo pack which might be better than the fake art we have now.

Edited by RetroNi

That would certainly help. I'd reread your second sentence though, I thought you missed a word out.

I'm going to take a hack at making some of this artwork over the weekend (assuming I can get good enough source material) so I'll try and make a dent there.

ill upload a list later of whats in there so you know what we need and if i get time i might do some as well depending on the source material i can find too.

Heres a few examples of the cart logos i found, looking through it im not sure if it would work as clear logos what yall think.

Alchemist Marie & Elie - Futari no Atelier (Japan).png

Dragon Ball (Japan).png

Blue Wing Blitz (Japan).png

Golden Axe (Japan).png

Edited by RetroNi

I have uploaded the WonderSwan clear logos from the pack i got and deleted the fake logos they replaced. But there are still games with the fake logos that need to be replaced.

Heres a list of the games that dont have any clear logos.

Spoiler

KISS Yori... Seaside Serenade
last stand
Magical Drop for WonderSwan
Meta Communication Therapy: Nee Kiite!
Mobile Suit Gundam MSVS
Moero!! Pro Yakyuu Rookies
Nazo-Oh Pocket
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Shito Ikusei
Nobunaga no Yabou for Wonderswan
Ochan no Oekaki Logic
Puyo Puyo Tsuu
Rainbow Islands: Putty's Party
Ring: Infinity
Sangokushi for WonderSwan
Sangokushi II for WonderSwan
SD Gundam G Generation: Gather Beat
SD Gundam: Emotional Jam
SD Gundam: Gashapon Senki Episode 1
Senkaiden: TV Animation Senkaiden Houshin Engi Yori
Sennou Millennium
Shanghai Pocket
Shin Nippon Pro Wrestling: Toukon Retsuden
Slither Link
Soccer Yarou!: Challenge The World
Sotsugyou Graduation for WonderSwan
Space Invaders
Super Robot Taisen Compact
Super Robot Taisen Compact 2 Dai-1-Bu: Chijou Gekidou-hen
Super Robot Taisen Compact 2 Dai-2-Bu: Uchuu Gekishin-hen
Super Robot Taisen Compact 2 Dai-3-Bu: Ginga Kessen-hen
Taikyoku Igo: Heisei Kiin
Tane Wo Maku Tori
Tanjou Debut for WonderSwan
Tekken Card Challenge
Terrors
Tetsujin 28-gou
Time Bokan Series: Bokan Densetsu - Buta mo Odaterya Doronboo
Tokyo Majin Gakuen: Fuju Houroku
Turntablist: DJ Battle
Umizuri ni Ikou!
Uzumaki: Denshi Kaiki-hen
Uzumaki: Noroi Simulation
Vaitz Blade
Wonder Stadium
Wonder Stadium '99
WonderSwan Handy Sonar
Wuz up b? Produce: Street Dancer

Enverex Ill start from the bottom and work up if you wanna start at the top whenever you get the time. If anyone else with Photoshop skills and time wants to help feel free.

• 2 weeks later...

@RetroNi Are you uploading lots of (relatively small) Wonderswan Colour logos at the moment? If that is you, scale the images up first (I normally use around 500%) then cut them out, then scale them back down. You'll end up with much smoother edges and avoid the sharp jagged edges you normally get when cutting out bits.