LaunchBox Community Forums

How can I make video clips?

Xrc6

I notice a lot of videos from emu movies are often just screenshots scrolling, at least they are for the games I have. What would be the easiest way to capture in game footage for Launcbbox, how long should the video be and what format should it be in?...for best performance that is.

Also have a question about the syncing to cloud feature. Does this upload all my games to the cloud? What is the size limit? 

17 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

The cloud features don't upload any games, just information about your collection, and it's most likely broken anyways. As for what software to use, DXTory or OBS are what I use to capture various things.

Thanks. So what format and video length is suggested for best performance?

Anything x264 or x265 (265 requires a much more powerful PC to run and you'd need to re-encode as you can't record directly in to 265 (or HEVC)). So I record my video in to avi or mp4 containers, in 264. In DXTory I use my specially bought MagicYUV 4:4:4 codec, and output to an mp4. In OBS, I made sure it output to an mp4, and raised the bit rate to 60k, (60,000 kbps), and chose h264 from the short list of things that you can choose. I then edit all of my video in Adobe Premiere, and let everything render at h264 in an mp4 as well. I can give you screenshots if you'd like.

This is very easy to do and requires no specially hardware and uses freeware tools. If you have the windows 10 creator update, make use of the screen recorder in the xbox app, see how here: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-use-windows-10s-screen-recording-utility

Otherwise go get the demo version of bandicam, it'll record for up to 10 minutes at a time. Capture in avi format for video and pcm_s16le (wav) format for audio.

Next go get VirtualDub, use it to crop, resize, etc. your video and export back to a new avi.

Finally go get FFMpeg, use it to convert to an mp4 with h264 for video with a bitrate around 300 -500 kb and aac for audio with at least 96 kb bitrate, anything lower will sound washed out.

Stay away from h265, few devices can decoded it and you gain very little from it anyway, if you have a newer nVida card/chip, FFMpeg now supports nvenc encoding, makes it go alot faster.

Launchbox seems to like 4:3 aspects rather than 16:9, if your serving your vids to mixed displays go with a 3:2 ratio, it'll look decent on anything.

• Like 1