LaunchBox Community Forums

retroarch control mapping.

damageinc86

since that one topic derailed i'll just ask here.  How the heck is everyone mapping all of their controllers in retroarch?  Like i've said elsewhere, and even on their forums,  I haven't been able to map anything besides my first xbox360 controller (even though when retroarch starts up, it shows everything that I have plugged in blinking on the yellow status messages at the bottom).  Just tried the most recent stable build of 1.5.0 and it still doesn't list anything but that in the input user binds user 1.  Is there a known programming thing going on where they just aren't having that as a feature or what?  I have the mayflash adapters for SNES, Playstation, and gamecube.  Don't know why I can't actually access them in the list of "mappable" controllers.  Any ideas?

Well I don't know if the Mayflash adapter causes any confusion for Retroarch or not because I don't have one and no experience with it. You can check their forums for topics regarding it, a quick search showed a few threads about it.

If all the controllers are detected and showing in the yellow text on start up you should be able to go into the different Input User binds and change the User # Device Index to the controller you want to use which for me is Xinput Controller for my 360 controller and Fighting Commander 4 for my Hori FC.

For different cores you will want to set the controller you want to use for it and save out a custom config which is what I did for my N64 setup. I use the 360 controller for it and the Hori FC for everything else.

If your controller doesn't auto bind the buttons to your liking you use the User # Bind All and it will go through the process of it asking you which button you want for what and you press the button. Or you can go below that and change each button individually with the left and right keys on the keyboard.

I would totally unplug the wiimote adapter to see if that changes anything, but then everything else that has been plugged in for the last 3 years will move spots and i'll have to remap everything lol.  Not fun. 

I don't know anything about controllers and stuff from a programming standpoint, but I always wonder how does Launchbox figure this out and everything is seen and "mappable", but something like retroarch with so much development and several years behind it, can't get access to everything.  Boggles my simple mind lol.

Well I won't claim to be any sort of expert on it but in Launchbox you set it to use all controllers or a single controller and that's it. Retroarch has to worry about which controller is being used for which player and core and unplugging controllers resets its UID number which is the USB identification and if you have 3 or 4 different kinds of controllers it messes with its auto config when you take them out and move them around.

yeah, i haven't moved anything ever, but it just doesn't make sense that it can't actually "see" the other controllers, when other programs can.  Hopefully someone else has ran into this situation.  It could be some freak thing that is only happening to me, just thought i'd pose the question.  thanks.

Guess how ridiculously simple it was?  All it ended up being was MAX users being set past the amount of controllers plugged in.  Apparently the ability to map controllers depends on how many user spots are set in the max users field.  WEIRD, but it works now!  have access to all my controllers.