LaunchBox Community Forums

Problem exiting Mesen Emulator

Xrc6

Using Launchbox big picture with Mesen NES emulator. I have 2 issues I'd love to solve. First there appears to only be one way to exit Mesen which is to physically press File/Exit with the mouse. That's not gonna work for me trying to use Big Box mode. What are my best options? as I really love Mesen, it's very accurate and the pallet is spot on. I know other front ends like GameEx seem to force the closing of the emulator when you press escape key which is really nice feature. Perhaps someone can recommend this to the launchbox team?

Second issue with Mesen is there doesn't appear to be any way to always make it start full screen which is really annoying. It only opens in Window mode to whichever size window you select. Does anyone know of a way to force full screen?

Thank you for your time.

There is a /fullscreen command line option for Mesen that will open it in fullscreen (If you look at Help->Command line Options, you can get a list of all available options)

Also, in Preferences->Shortcut Keys, you can map any keyboard/gamepad key to the "Exit" shortcut to use it to exit Mesen.

Hope that helps

On 5/27/2017 at 7:18 PM, lordmonkus said:

Put this in the AutoHotKey Script tab of your Edit Emulator window for Mesen. It will launch it in fullscreen mode.

#NoEnv

Sleep, 3000
SetKeyDelay, -1, 110
Send {F11}
Return

My close window controller button combo in LB works fine to close out Mesen.

I didn't understand a word you just said. I'm not that computer savvy if you can't tell.

On 5/27/2017 at 9:26 PM, Sour said:

There is a /fullscreen command line option for Mesen that will open it in fullscreen (If you look at Help->Command line Options, you can get a list of all available options)

Also, in Preferences->Shortcut Keys, you can map any keyboard/gamepad key to the "Exit" shortcut to use it to exit Mesen.

Hope that helps

I'll be darn, who would've thought that anything useful would be under a Help menu. Although I see the command listed, I don't know what to do with it. The box below already says /fullscreen - start mesen in full screen mode. Also none of the tabs there let me type anything so where am I supposed to input this command?

Edited by Xrc6

3 hours ago, Xrc6 said:

I didn't understand a word you just said. I'm not that computer savvy if you can't tell.

Edit your Mesen emulator in Launchbox and go to the Autohotkey Script tab and put that code in there

592c66c84eb50_2017-05-2914_20_08-EditEmulator.thumb.png.1ca4e5dc0b3814f33237fb0601449b57.pngOr as @Sourpointed out there is a fullscreen command which you can put in the command line paramenters for Mesen in Launchbox

592c679c74660_2017-05-2914_24_28-EditEmulator.thumb.png.e13a2308c731c76b80a629123f7d988e.png

1 hour ago, lordmonkus said:

Edit your Mesen emulator in Launchbox and go to the Autohotkey Script tab and put that code in there

592c66c84eb50_2017-05-2914_20_08-EditEmulator.thumb.png.1ca4e5dc0b3814f33237fb0601449b57.pngOr as @Sourpointed out there is a fullscreen command which you can put in the command line paramenters for Mesen in Launchbox

592c679c74660_2017-05-2914_24_28-EditEmulator.thumb.png.e13a2308c731c76b80a629123f7d988e.png

Oh ok, I thought this was something within Mesen I had to do. Thanks a lot.

Well crap, it' s not working. If I put the auto script in, I get Error at line 7. Line Text: Return. Error: This line does not contain a recognized action.

And if I put in Sour's fullscreen command either as -fullscreen or /fullscreen...neither of those work. Mesen still launches as window. I triple checked, I seemed to have it typed just as in picture.

On 5/29/2017 at 4:28 PM, lordmonkus said:

The -fullscreen or /fullscreen should work, I tried them both out and both work fine for me.

If the script is spitting an error at you then you probably have a mistake in there somewhere, maybe an extra space where there shouldn't be one.

I keep looking at the pics and mine looks exactly the same word for word. However I removed the "return" line and it then worked but only in Launchbox desktop mode but it doesn't work at all in Big Box mode....which happens to be the mode I want to run in.

Also -fullscreen or /fullscreen does nothing. I mean I can't make it look any more exact, kind of hard to screw up a single word, I didn't add any space. If I can get around to it, I'll take a pic. It must be something outside of the script but I don't know where to start.

16 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Unless you are using an older version that doesn't support the command line I don't know what would be causing the issue. I'm using the latest release as of this post.

Yes latest version. 

I had to take these with my phone but maybe you can see something I don't. Again I had to remove the "Return" Line because that caused the error. Launchbox and Windows 10 are newly installed, both are only a week old. Also I have get the exact same issues with my other computer which is my main gaming rig. Mesen is latest version, I downloaded it last week too.

4hxnhu.jpg

2e1u652.jpg

Edited by Xrc6

3 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

I have no idea why it wouldn't work for you then. Both methods work for me using Windows 10 and the latest version of Mesen.

Ok, thanks for trying. I'll add this one to my list of other issues that stump everyone lol. It does suck though, I spent a lot of time getting this setup, I may just have to use another emulator but I like that Mesen gets the color palette correct. Can you recommend me an NES emulator that might be just as good?

I use Retroarch, both the Fceumm and Nestopia cores are fine.

As far as the palette is concerned there is no "correct" palette because the NES worked differently and the colours were determined / affected by the TV being used. Many emulators support palette files so you can find the "correct" palette to what want and the Retroarch cores have palettes built into them which you can select from using the core options menu.