LaunchBox Community Forums

Legit MobyGames Scraper

Legit MobyGames Scraper

View File

IMPORTANT

all restrictions on the MobyGames Api are in place:

an API key is required to use this plugin.

DO NOT REQUEST AN API KEY FROM MOBYGAMES TO USE THIS PLUGIN. THEY ARE NO LONGER

GIVING OUT KEYS TO USE THIS, THEY HAVE NOT REQUESTED TO REMOVE MY CODE FROM GITHUB OR REMOVE THIS

POST SO PLEASE DO NOT STIR THE POT.

Sharing of your API key will only be doing yourself a disservice, as well as the community.

There are limited requests per day enforce by MobyGames.

I was given permission by @Jason Carr to post this, if I abide by MobyGames Rules.

If you feel that me or any other user is not following the guidelines enforced by MobyGames or Lanchbox please feel free to send me a Private Message.

Me and Most Definitely Launchbox is not responsible for the misuse of this Plugin or the changing of code.

Lastly any request to remove this thread will met with open arms, I do not want to create any upset if  I am in breach of the rules. 

DESCRIPTION

this plugin was developed to provide a responsible way of using the MobyGames Api to scrape game media.

Thanks to @Expello for requesting me to build this and for testing. if he/she did not agree to my terms I would not have built this plugin

BUGS

Alternative names(aka) is not working(i think the api does not support it)

all game media is listed under Cart Front(there is no way of identifying the use of CD yet)

WHATS WORKING

Box Front

Cart Front

Box Back

ScreenShot Title

ScreenShot GamePlay

Description(Notes)

HOW TO USE

Download the Plugin

Extract into Plugins Folder

open the MobyGamesScraper.dll.config with notepad

replace YourKeyGoesHere with your ApiKey

open LaunchBox

right click on a game

select scrape with MobyGames.

or go to tools scrape with moby games

BUY ME A BEER

• Like 3

On 2017-6-12 at 6:35 PM, Styphelus said:

Thanks, but who the heck has their API key? Guess this can only be used by a select number of people.

Agreed, I have received an answer from the kind Simon Carless from Mobygames:

Thanks! We are not permitting API use for plugin users right now because that will be a lot of work for us to individually approve API use manually for LOTS of users, sorry. We will be allowing plugins that grab images to their own database and allow Launchbox users to access them there. We have had multiple Launchbox plugin authors contact us recently so we imagine one of them will sort this out soon.

Edited by Sir BLaDE

• 1 year later...

Hi, I asked on MobyGames for an API key and I got the response - "sorry, we can't allow non-creators to use our private keys - the person who did the Launchbox plugin needs to enable it to grab our data!"

Would you consider sharing your API key?

I think this could be a really good scraper in addition to the LB DB

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I went on Moby Games and you can pretty easily request an API key. They've provided me with one and I attempted to use the scraper. Besides setting the key in the dll.config, are there any other steps that I need to complete? I unpacked all the files into the plugins directory, but when I attempted to perform a scrape, I received the following error:

"Could not load type 'Unbroken.FileHelper' from assembly 'Unbroken, Version=12.13.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'."

I did happen to notice that the PublicKeyToken is set in the dll.config to "b77a5c561934e089", but the error is returning null. Any ideas how I can get this to work?

Thanks in advance!

• 6 months later...