LaunchBox Community Forums

File Path Change Causing Duplicate Games

Pizzaboy140

Shortly after the stream today, I figured out why I was getting duplicate games/images.  I mentioned I made a sort of "NAS" version of LaunchBox.  Before changing my ROM paths, I copied my whole LaunchBox folder and called it "LaunchBox Online Version".

Feel free to check up and discuss, but I think changing the folder name of where all of LaunchBox's files are is what caused the issue.  I changed all my ROM Paths in the new "LaunchBox Online Version" folder.

Edited by Pizzaboy140

I have a noob esk question...

I know how to bulk replace in notepad++ (ctrl+h, put in text you want to find, put in text to replace with)

However, while looking at my platform_name.xml locations, I get a lot of paths like

..\SNES\Games\(Insert Game Here).smc

the piece I'd need to change is where the ".." is.

The path I used before (for SNES in this example) was

(My Drive letter):emulation/LaunchBox/SNES/Games/(Insert Game Here).smc

I'd want to Change it to:

Emulation(//(My NAS Server Name which I'm not going to disclose here))/SNES/Games/(Insert Game Here).smc

So the only difference is everything in front of "SNES".  Can this be done with Notepad++?

I can do this manually in LaunchBox.  Just wanted to know if I'm missing something here though.

Edited by Pizzaboy140

I don't personally use NAS as I have a Windows Home Server 2011 box running my network and the only thing I can see maybe that looks wrong to me is your trying to make it Emulation//ServerName for Windows it has to be \\ServerName\Emulation\SNES besides that I don't see why it wouldn't work and just in case it doesn't make a copy of your data folder before you make any changes to anything and this way its an overwrite away from putting it back to how it was before.

Edited by DOS76

16 hours ago, Pizzaboy140 said:

I have a noob esk question...

I know how to bulk replace in notepad++ (ctrl+h, put in text you want to find, put in text to replace with)

However, while looking at my platform_name.xml locations, I get a lot of paths like

..\SNES\Games\(Insert Game Here).smc

the piece I'd need to change is where the ".." is.

The path I used before (for SNES in this example) was

(My Drive letter):emulation/LaunchBox/SNES/Games/(Insert Game Here).smc

I'd want to Change it to:

Emulation(//(My NAS Server Name which I'm not going to disclose here))/SNES/Games/(Insert Game Here).smc

So the only difference is everything in front of "SNES".  Can this be done with Notepad++?

I can do this manually in LaunchBox.  Just wanted to know if I'm missing something here though.

@Pizzaboy140

This can no doubt be done using Notepad++ but you need to make sure that you are going to replace only the desired matches in your xml files.
I would probably include "<ApplicationPath>" in the Find what field of notepad++
Here's a theoretical example where my LaunchBox is on drive D: and I want to move my roms from drive R: to S:

• Edit "D:\LaunchBox\Data\Platforms\Acorn Archimedes.xml" with Notepad++
  • Press ctrl-h
  • set Find what to: "<ApplicationPath>R:\TOSEC\Acorn\Archimedes\Games\"
  • set Replace with to "<ApplicationPath>S:\TOSEC\Acorn\Archimedes\Games\"

Be careful when editing xml files that you are aware of xml encoded characters such as the & character.

If you're unfamiliar with xml encoding, I would suggest that you simply re-import your roms (games) using LaunchBox itself.

Hope this helps