LaunchBox Community Forums

Sluggish performance and rom count

Asterra

I get it.  The app was not written with complete collections in mind, the way an old MAME GUI would be.  The very first thing I did with LaunchBox was have it scan my complete MAME collection.  Navigating the result is basically hopeless, as each adjustment to the scroll bar causes a three-to-five second wait while the app checks 15 individual titles to confirm there's no cover art.  Given that such a thing shouldn't take that long under any circumstance, there's not much choice but to recognize that the app must have been optimized for some other kind of use.

That said, I imagine many people are like me, and were hoping to have everything in one nice, tidy package without having to truncate collections just to make the launching interface behave.  Therefore I feel that people may have found workarounds to make large collections of games work better with LaunchBox, and I'd be interested in hearing about those potential solutions.

Note: Let's not go back and forth over PC specs.  We are talking about the default theme which is manifestly plain.  The image load times under scrutiny should make it plain that specs are not the issue.

18 minutes ago, Asterra said:

Note: Let's not go back and forth over PC specs.  We are talking about the default theme which is manifestly plain.  The image load times under scrutiny should make it plain that specs are not the issue.

Specs do matter and can be an issue as well as library size and LB does require some caching to reduce performance issues.

4 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Specs do matter and can be an issue as well as library size and LB does require some caching to reduce performance issues.

Ah, now we're getting somewhere.  Is there a way of generating all of the necessary caching in advance so that the image fetching doesn't reliably take such a long time?  Not sure how well that would work since it happens even when there's no image to fetch, but if I can solve this one issue I'll be a lot more comfortable with forking over the dough to get the app into its fully functional state.

Just so it doesn't seem like I have some sort of uniquely incapable machine, here are a couple of examples of the phenomenon which I quickly found on Youtube:

There's no way to force the cache in desktop mode but you can in BigBox mode. Caching will take place on its own with LB running or you can go through each platform and your games to help it along.

Performance is something @Jason Carr is always working to improve but it also something that seems to vary from computer to computer. If you read that other post I linked you to you can see that I have 2 very differently specced systems and Launchbox runs great though on my lower end PC I do have to make some adjustments to some settings to make it smooth. There have been people with higher specced systems than my main PC and have issues but I honestly couldn't tell you why because my main PC runs LB with no needing to adjust anything just fine along with many other people who use the software.

This is something that has been debated several times around here and always has devolved into arguing so I won't be going into the performance issues discussion any further.

If you do decide to purchase Launchbox and you find you are unhappy with it you can email support@unbrokensoftware.com and get a refund.

• 8 months later...