LaunchBox Community Forums

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but it seemed close enough. So I've recently discovered that Moonlight is available on the Playstation Vita. Which means that I can use BigBox on my Vita now, which is absolutely amazing to me. I was looking into this because I finally caved and ordered a Steam Link, since it's on sale for $15 for the Summer sale, $22 after shipping. During all of this, a friend of mine on Facebook pointed out Rainway to me, there isn't much info out about it yet, but it seems to be something like Plex Media Server, but for games, and allowing remote streaming. So, what I picture in my mind is, being able to stream your games to any computer within a web browser, and possibly with the PS Vita while connected to wifi away from home. Both of those ideas just blow my mind. I don't have a PS4, and I never subscribed to PSNow while it was available on the Vita, so this (and moonlight) are going to be my first experiences at streaming to the Vita. So needless to say, I'm crazy excited about all of this news. It's like, having a DIY Nintendo Switch, but using BigBox as the main interface, and heck, thanks to Switch Theme, you can turn your PS Vita into a switch.

I just had to share this, it might just be common news by now, but I'm excited about this. And after I build my dedicated HTPC, I'll basically have free reign to stream my PC games to either my or my wife's PC and the PS Vita, just so long as we're not streaming from it at the same time. I'm literally overjoyed by this news. I'm very glad I got my Launchbox premium pass, and decided to hack my vita when HENKAKU came around, and also very glad I decided to buy the Steam Link(can't wait until it ships). Ten years ago, I wouldn't have even thought that I could do anything remotely like this with gaming. Btw, does anyone know if the Steam Link does surround sound?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2017 at 10:21 AM, ALIE said:

How well does it work? Thinking about getting a Nvidia Shield but maybe this could be a temporary solution. 

Moonlight on the Vita is not great at this stage. It def feels like a beta. Sometimes it works great, other times it's just intolerable and drops the connection frequently. One thing to keep in mind though, is that my desktop is on wifi, and so is my vita. I'll be hardwiring my desktop soon(ish), but for now, that's what my experience has been.

I'm really looking forward to Rainway though.

• Like 1