LaunchBox Community Forums

Need help with 6 button controller in Retroarch

giants56

Hi, I know this is a retroarch question but was hoping to get some help here.

I have Saturn games hooked up in Launchbox using Retroarh Mednafen core  the controller I'm using is a USB Saturn "play Sega" controller with a d pad, a start button, six face buttons and two shoulder buttons .

when I plug it in to retroarch it's recognized as a "Saturn joypad" but when I load the core and then load a game, and exit to the quick menu to set the controls specific to this core, I don't get an option to bind the c or z buttons.  Again it shows as Saturn joypad or I can change the user 1 device to "3D ", "mouse" or "none".

I've searched and found a few pages that reference setting up a mega drive 6 button controller but the solutions aren't working for me. They all say I should be able to change to 6 button controller in the quick menu settings page but it's not an option for me.

has anyone figured this out, or know what I'm doing wrong?  I'd really appreciate any guidance!

If you load up a Saturn game and then bring up the Quick Menu > Controls does it look like this ?595bddd5296c8_2017-07-0414_25_52-RetroArchMednafenSaturnv0.9_45.1__Frames_9728.thumb.png.403d180eea497d09e8cf280c4faa9236.pngI know the stuff on the right hand side is probably going to look different because I am using a Hori FC pad but do you have the bindings for everything on the left ?

Unfortunately I don't have a USB Saturn controller so I cannot say anything about it.

Yes, I have the bindings on the left. I'm not sure how to activate them though (meaning to press the corresponding buttons on my joypad). There is no bind all option.  If I go to any of the buttons and press left or right arrow on keyboard I can cycle through options but they don't match my joypad and I can't select button 0, button 1, etc. I guess that's where I'm lost on it?

Hmm, you should be able to press left or right til the button on the right hand side corresponds with the one you want to use on the controller.

If you go into the normal controller set (not the core one) under the Settings (cog icon) > Input > Input User 1 can you setup all your controls in there ?

Outside of the core it's listed as a retro pad and I don't have options to bind the c or z button. 

Ehen i I click the left or right arrow within the core controls setup, the options for the buttons seem to correspond to an Xbox controller (x,y,a,b,r2,r3... for example) so I can't choose the buttons on the saturn pad. 

i hope this is making sense. I really appreciate the help. 

If you go into Settings (cog wheel) > Input > Input User 1 Binds and then User 1 Bind All it should go through the process of binding your controls. If things go the way I think they would set your C and Z buttons to L and R and for the actual L and R buttons on your Saturn pad set those to use L2 and R2. Then for the rest just don't press any thing and let them time out.

If that doesn't work I really am at a loss as to what to tell you since I don't have or used that controller.

Now, if the thought of maybe getting a new controller to use in place of it I can highly recommend one of the Hori Fighting Commander pads. I have one and absolutely love it, it has all the buttons you could need and an extremely good d-pad to go with it. The only thing missing from it would be analog sticks but it seems like you don't care about that since you are using the Saturn pad.

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fighting-Commander-PlayStation-Officially-Licensed/dp/B01GVOFIAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499197665&sr=8-1&keywords=hori%2Bfighting%2Bcomma

Microsoft one if prefer the ABXY button naming: https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fighting-Commander-Officially-Licensed-Microsoft/dp/B01MSEPQ55/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499197665&sr=8-2&keywords=hori+fighting+commander