LaunchBox Community Forums

Steam Link + BigBox + Xbox One S Controller - How to get it working?

virtualadam

Hi, I think a killer combination is to be able to stream Big Box through Steam Link to play emulators on a TV...

I am able to control Steam Link through the Xbox One S controller (and play other games), although when I launch Big Box the XBox controller doesn't appear to send any commands to Big Box? I have tried enabling the Big Box settings to "Enable Game Controllers" and set the device to "XInput Xbox 360/Xbox One, although still no luck. 

Any suggestions? I'm assuming this would be a fairly common setup for many people....

I have a steam link.  You need to add launchbox to steam, this allows it to pass through controller commands when you launch it.  Also make sure Enable Game Controllers  is on in launchbox.

Overall the game experience is not enjoyable even wired, there is a slight delay in platformers.  Steam link is much better to casual couch gaming of modern RPG type games like Witcher 3 and Tomb Raider.

I ended up trying steam link with my controller connected to my pc and steam link connected to the tv.  That was better but still not great, the controls were good, but the compressed resolution was a disappointment. 

I eventually bought a 20' HDMI cable - and everything is perfect.  

What I found worked best with the steam link is using VirtualHere http://store.steampowered.com/app/440520/VirtualHere_For_Steam_Link/. This allows the controller to act like it was actually connected to your PC. Unfortunately even with this program you can't use steam's guide chords, as for some reason Launchbox, unlike any other program, disables them/is incompatible with them.

Edited by GiuseppeIII