LaunchBox Community Forums

[request] idGames Archive Public API

I hit a snag with the JSON data format.  I am going to try to use the XML instead.  The problem is that some items, like files lists are an Object if it's a single item or an Array of Objects if it's more than one.  The result is all my checks are seeing 0 results because it's failing to read the response.  The good thing is that the way I coded the API it's probably only 2 small sections that need editing.  probably.

So I've been trying to avoid using JSON.net just due to not wanting to conflict with any other plugins that use it as during the LaunchBox current beta I am not sure what version to target.  Welp, JSON.net is just too good.  I switched to that from the native JSON parser and was able to fix my issue immediately by writing a custom serilalizer for attributes that could be either arrays or singles.

I hope the next version of LaunchBox releases soon so I can fix my version targets.

I'm done for tonight but here's a picture.  I will probably want to do some followup API calls using that Id to get what's not listed here.

doomworldscrape2.thumb.PNG.1c2f7fc31995f5e73992e9ab69247d44.PNGWhat suggestions do you have for what to do with the data?
You can see the types of data by looking at various items there such as this one: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/Ports/0-9/007ltsd

I'll probably allow for everything to be added as custom fields so complex themes can access it of course, or more specifically I will add some sort of check-boxes to the scraper for it.

@Klopjero If you want to test it now you can.  There's probably a huge pile of bugs in it at this stage.  This zip contains the source code, in the bin folder are the plugin DLLs you will need to add to LaunchBox's Plugin folder.  You can make a subfolder for this in there.  You should consider this very-beta and as with any beta things you should back up your Data folder.

LaunchBox_DoomWorldScraper.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nielk1 said:

@Klopjero If you want to test it now you can.  There's probably a huge pile of bugs in it at this stage.  This zip contains the source code, in the bin folder are the plugin DLLs you will need to add to LaunchBox's Plugin folder.  You can make a subfolder for this in there.  You should consider this very-beta and as with any beta things you should back up your Data folder.

When I get home I will start using this and report back my finding. Youre awesome!

6 hours ago, Nielk1 said:

Wow... feeling like an utter nOOB here. 

Eventually I placed the entire bin folder into the plugin folder. I opened the powershell scritp in an administrative console. ran set-executionpolicy etc etc... I don't see what is loaded... but then again..I'm not sure how this plugin should manifest itself..

I loaded the Visual studio project into VS set the debug program to the proper location.. ran it .. 

What info do you need ? or could you make a short instruction on how to test this properly. 

• Haha 1

@Klopjero 

All you need to do is place the DLLs from bin into a subfolder in Plugins.  Launchbox will see them when it starts and add the menu item automatically.  The source code is there for if I disappear or something or if for some reason you don't trust me and want to compile it yourself.

I have an extra step in my system that copies the DLLs from the project's bin into a folder in Launchbox/Plugins before starting Launchbox in my debugger.

Edited by Nielk1
  • Like 1

It's weird.

ib placed the dll's into it's own folder. It loads without issue. But I don't see the context menu you mentioned. 

I appreciate your source code.  I only loaded it up because the dll's didn't seem to load properly. 

Show me 2 pictures.

One of the folder structure of your plug in folder. The other of the context menu and where to find it so I can tell whether the plug in loaded properly. 

Thanks a lot so far.

Folder structure's irrelevant, Launchbox aggressively searches for all DLL files in its Plugins folder.

The menu item will either be on the bottom of the [Tools] menu, or under [Tools > Download Metadata and Media...] (which will now have child items) if you have the menu cleanup plugin as well.

I am working with the LB beta so it's possible some difference is preventing it from working.

Edited by Nielk1

So..I'm going to echo this.

The Doomworldscraper will be found under [tools] ->[download metadata and media]

now. I tried this, that is to say. once I loaded the DLL's into launchbox yesterday evening. and I ran the Download metadata and media, but it didnt retrieve the metadata.

I also can't tell if the dll's are loaded properly, I can say that LAunchbox didnt throw errors while starting up.

I'm aware that this could be frustrating for you, I just need to be clear about the situation.
I don't have the menucleanup plugin installed, so the [download metadata and media] has no child items.
So how can I tell if the plugin is working correctly?
Does it have it's own button to click? or did you make it part of the [download metadata and media] routine?