LaunchBox Community Forums

Sata vs M2 ssd

Tommy1981

Has anyone compared the load times of the cover art between a ssd, regular hard drive, and m2 hard drive? I have a 250gb sata ssd running Windows but i have my launch box collection on a 8tb usb 3.0  hard drive. I have 3 sata 3.5 inch bays and 1 M2 slot in my computer. Should I get a sata hard drive or a M2 hard drive to put my launch box covers and media on? I will leave my roms on my 8tb usb hard drives. Thank you for any suggestions on this.

I would think just cost to load times an ssd wouldn’t be worth it, my OS is on an ssd and my launchbox and every rom and emulator are on an external 3.0 drive and everything runs great. I’m at this moment moving all my data to one of the 2tb FireCuda drive which is suppose to be part SATA part SSD, but I’m mostly doing that so I don’t have to carry around an external drive anymore, not speed.

• Thanks 1

$260 for 1tb or $87 for 2tb(that’s a 2.5” drive, go full-size, even more room or cheaper if it’s full size) & $60 for 120gb ssd, you’re still looking at half the price with a lot more storage, I just replaced my 1tb drive when I switch to launchbox, because of all the extra images and video... if you hit that 1tb mark that’s a big price to upgrade to the next size... IMO the speed increase if any is not worth the price, once all your images are cached, you really can’t get any faster. Even steam games they don’t recommend putting on an ssd, the speed increase is negligible.

• Thanks 1